Spare Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jerrys Lawn Service, Nov 2, 2000.

1. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have had numerous tire spare yet.
    What type of tires seem to hold up on tandem trailer??
    I have been buying used tires-take offs. Good tires with low milage. I can't seem to get tire to last more than 8,000 miles.
    What do you use?
  2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"I have been buying used tires-take offs. "

They have been replaced for a reason, usually one that isnt plain to see.

Get a tire with LT rating not P rating as the tread is made of a harder material. The radial belts are also made with larger gage wire. Dont use a M+S rated tire either, they wont last on a trailer. Most mfrs make a tire specially designed for trailer use.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Iv'e only had one flat. And that was 3 years ago. I don't carry a spare, don't really have the room for it.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We made a rack to carry 2 sets of spares for our Walker mowers. You can take a hollow pipe and have someone weld a flat piece of steel on bottom of bar and you slip your spare tires on over pipe. You either weld or bolt to trailer. Cost about 20 to 40 bucks.
  5. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have a spare tire that is mounted to the trailer tongue. The trailer came equiped with a new spare.
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I forgot to add on my reply my trailer tire we got from it was a white spoke rim with the st205/75-14 tire for $72.00 cheap insurance and just mount on tongue like hicks siad.