1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spare trimmer????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jon99, May 16, 2003.

1. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

As a solo with a new T260 Shindaiwa I was wondering what most of the other solos have for a back up trimmer or how many don't have a spare..
  2. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Shindiawa T-230, but have a Redmax for a backup.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

You probably won't have to worry about a "back-up" trimmer if your using a new Shindaiwa. I used my T-27 for 10 years before I retired it.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I carry around 2 Shindaiwa T-230s.
  5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have an Echo SRM2400 as my main trimmer. I bought an Echo PAS2400 split-boom trimmer w/ a hedge trimmer,edger & power broom attachments. I use the SRM as my daily trimmer, but if my SRM ever goes down, I can stick the string trimmer attachment on the PAS and use it to trim.
  6. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

:) Ive got two shinys T260''s, plus a echo 2601, Like Bob said them shindaiwas are very efficent, everyone i know that uses them puts them at the top of the trimmer list......Marks Mowing Service
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We never leave without 2 trimmers. Nothing worse than being 1/2 way done and the trimmer breaks down. Always have a backup in the racks. I keep all the same trimmers. That way everything is the same. If we must change trimmers there is no difference. Regardless of me or helper, there is no new learning curve. If you use the exact same units everything is the same. You carry on without adjustment.
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Combo of bob and Richard. When I looked closely at trimmers years ago, the T-20 was the best power to weight tool. Ran 2-3 years with it, then added a T-230. (T-20 was the original of the T-230. And even though it seems many Shindiawa dealers don't know what an original T-20 is, there are still parts available.) Now I swap trimmers every month, just to keep even wear and make sure both are running good.

No sense having a cheap spare that you won't be accustomed to using when you need it. Or that won't run when you need it, LOL.
  9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have just about 2 of everything that we take, even when I cut alone the last part of last year.
  10. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we have two t-230's and a t260 dont really need anything else..........probably ever lol