Lawn Care Forum banner

Spare trimmer????

3K views 25 replies 23 participants last post by  bushwoods1 
#1 ·
As a solo with a new T260 Shindaiwa I was wondering what most of the other solos have for a back up trimmer or how many don't have a spare..

#3 ·
You probably won't have to worry about a "back-up" trimmer if your using a new Shindaiwa. I used my T-27 for 10 years before I retired it.

#5 ·
I have an Echo SRM2400 as my main trimmer. I bought an Echo PAS2400 split-boom trimmer w/ a hedge trimmer,edger & power broom attachments. I use the SRM as my daily trimmer, but if my SRM ever goes down, I can stick the string trimmer attachment on the PAS and use it to trim.

#7 ·
We never leave without 2 trimmers. Nothing worse than being 1/2 way done and the trimmer breaks down. Always have a backup in the racks. I keep all the same trimmers. That way everything is the same. If we must change trimmers there is no difference. Regardless of me or helper, there is no new learning curve. If you use the exact same units everything is the same. You carry on without adjustment.

#8 ·
Combo of bob and Richard. When I looked closely at trimmers years ago, the T-20 was the best power to weight tool. Ran 2-3 years with it, then added a T-230. (T-20 was the original of the T-230. And even though it seems many Shindiawa dealers don't know what an original T-20 is, there are still parts available.) Now I swap trimmers every month, just to keep even wear and make sure both are running good.

No sense having a cheap spare that you won't be accustomed to using when you need it. Or that won't run when you need it, LOL.

#11 ·
Originally posted by 65hoss
We never leave without 2 trimmers. Nothing worse than being 1/2 way done and the trimmer breaks down. Always have a backup in the racks. I keep all the same trimmers. That way everything is the same. If we must change trimmers there is no difference. Regardless of me or helper, there is no new learning curve. If you use the exact same units everything is the same. You carry on without adjustment.
Same here. I prefer 2 of everything, just in case.

#13 ·
carry 3 at all times. man, i just cant get over that name, crawdad hollar, and its a real live place. but, is it one of those towns where , like, the mayor is also the judge, who also runs the bank during the day, who is also owner of the only hardware store in town.........

#15 ·
Currently have 6 Stihl FS 80's-
also have 2 echo's- don't use much- break out when we have extra help- they are split shaft, use as hedge trimmers
always carry at least 2 Stihls on a truck

Another thing I keep equip for the guys- each truck has two extra heads already strung- when they run out of string, just switch heads- They sting up the other heads when fueling or waiting for someone to finish up

#17 ·
Ditto

Originally posted by EJK2352
I have an Echo SRM2400 as my main trimmer. I bought an Echo PAS2400 split-boom trimmer w/ a hedge trimmer,edger & power broom attachments. I use the SRM as my daily trimmer, but if my SRM ever goes down, I can stick the string trimmer attachment on the PAS and use it to trim.

#19 ·
I'm a solo and I have 3 trimmers. :rolleyes:

I started with an Echo SRM-2601 and went to get a spare. I asked for the same exact trimmer and was sold the SRM-260S which has the new EPA friendly carb for reduced emissions. Well this trimmer was a troublesome little bugger at first. It was hard to start and HAD to warm up for like a minute before it would run. Well, when I discovered the different model # and inquired of my dealer she told me that was the new model and they weren't making the SRM-2601 any more.

I was in another dealer and saw another brand new SRM-2601 on sale for like $199!!! I didn't really have the $$ but I could not pass up that price.

So now I have 3. The newest sits in the garage, I've not even put fuel in it yet.

BTW, once the 260S breaks in it's a great trimmer, I just had real problems with it till it broke in.

#20 ·
Originally posted by crawdad
Why carry a spare? Just carry a Stihl. Nuff said.
Crawdad
Trigger broke on my Stihl which is still inder warranty. I have been waiting since Monday for part to come in to dealer. I wish I had a backup. Still have 1 but what a pain and what a hold up. :(

#22 ·
Dont have a clue. I took it out ouf the trimmer rack and cranked it up and all it would do is idle. It was something internal. What part of Ga are you in?

#24 ·
atlanta- well, i gotta be honest with you, two days ago we were clearing a fence line with my two stihl weedwackers and one of them fs 45 (homeowner model) the head fell of the end and the cable (or shaft ) slid out of it.however, i've put this weed wacker through pure hell for three years and have been so pleased with it that i replaced it with a brand new one just like it. only difference is now you dont have to take the spool out and re-string, you just stick the string in the holes and wind up the cap on bottom. i had to get used to that, but i think its gonna be a time saver

#25 ·
I don't carry a spare any more. I use an old ISM made Lesco trimmer that's 5 years old and it never gives me trouble. Most of the commercial equipment out there is very dependable.

Of course, tomorrow it will blow up, but I have a Stihl FS85 (which I usually have with me with a hedge trimmer on it) and 4 Husqvarna trimmers: a 122L, a 125L, a 225L, and a 232L, depending on what I want to cut. I just don't carry them on the truck.

However, I don't like to use the 232 or 225 often because they are heavy.

#26 ·
QOUTE:

" I was in another dealer and saw another brand new SRM-2601 on sale for like $199!!! I didn't really have the $$ but I could not pass up that price."

Home depot carries these at that price as well. Shame you can get a better price at the big brown box than at your dealer.

I'm solo as well, and carry two of everything. Nothing worse than not being able to finish the job, and have to come back and make it right once you have fixed your problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.