Spark arrester, does anyone take them off?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Landscraper1, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

Many, many years ago, I was excited to purchase my first blower, it was an echo. After about a month of use, it was losing power so I returned it to the dealer. The dealer told me that he gave it a cleaning and charged me $40. A couple of months later, it was acting up again. I took it back to the dealer for another $40 cleaning.

By the third time, I figured this was getting costly so, not knowing anything about this, I cleaned it myself. It worked, the blower worked great for another couple of months. By the 4th cleaning, I started wondering about the spark arrester. That thing was always clogged up tight when I checked on it. So, I decided to remove it and see.

Wow, what a difference. I could now go a year without cleaning(other then the filter, of course). I read here on a thread that the first thing many do when they get a new trimmer is take off the gaurd. It got me thinking, the first thing I do is take out the spark arrester.

So, do any of you take it off or is this the first you have heard of this?

2. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Do not remove anything of safety on any equipment !!!!!!!

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I run Stihl HP Ultra and have never had to clean out carbon. It burns very clean and all my screens stay on.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Most of the time, if someone is having issues with their spark arrestor screen fouling out badly, it is either because they are running too much oil in their mix (like Echo used to recommend years ago), or because they are using cheap oil. I never have any issues with any of my screens nor do I have to clean them ( I check them a few times throughout the season, but they are always clean), and I run either stihl HP Ultra, or Amsoil full synthetic.

A good oil can make all the difference.

5. mikeypizano

mikeypizano LawnSite Senior Member

My new mower doesn't even HAVE one from the factory! :laughing:

6. mikeypizano

Did NOT know that. I think my 4mix Stihl has one though.

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I was just givin' ya the business 'cause you got a new mower, and I'm jealous.:usflag:

Many small four stroke machines like whips and some WB mowers do, but you don't see them on larger mowers with four stroke engines.

8. mikeypizano

There is just one problem with the new mower... I didn't try it yet! :cry:

9. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

You should totally remove the spark arrestor.

It's just added weight they put on to charge you more.

What's the worst a loose spark could do while mowing grass during a dry spell? Best case scenario you start a brush fire and don't have to mow for a while.

10. ALEX'S LANDSCAPING

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!