Spark arrester screen

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tomt, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

I had a Echo edger start running poorly and checked and found the screen blocked, I removed it and it ran better than I ever remember.
    Any problems that may occur from this procedure?

2. Mikes Machines

Mikes Machines LawnSite Member

As far as the running of the engine no damage will occur and it will probably run better. The point of the screen is to keep sparks from shooting out the exhaust and starting a fire.

3. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

Tom
    Go out at night or in an area that is completly dark. Start the engine and apply full throttle. You will see small sparks shooting form the exhaust once in awhile.

Sparks from small engines have been known to start fires from time to time. That is the main reason that the screens are installed. To catch the larger sparkes.

You can clean the screen or install a new on and regain the power that has been lost over time due to carbon build up.

Engines can be ran without them. But by law the exhaust should have the screen.

So I will leave it up to you to decide. Yes or no.

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have 2 echo hedge clipers and 3 weedaters. After taking that d$$n thing out on a 98 degree day on ny weedeater and twice on my long pole clippers I made that screen disappear! No more problems! I had to clean mine about every 4-6 weeks and it got old fast!

Danny

5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Every mechanic around here says "take it out but you did not hear it from me." In irrigated landscapes using Amsoil I do not see a danger, but some will stongly disagree and say"that is terrible advice", to which I say blah, blah, blah, blah,blah.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

To those of you that remove your spark arresters: be careful trimming around propane tanks. They have pressure relief valves and periodically vent gas. One spark and the EMT's will be picking body parts up for days (and we'll all know you from the News coverage).

7. barnard

barnard LawnSite Senior Member

Propane tanks don't vent unless they are overfilled or overheated in some manner.

8. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

my screens are all gone also.

9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Tell that to my buddy who was scattered to pieces.

10. Tomt

Tomt LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies.

I fully understand the reason for them, in theory, to be there.

I am glad to know that only large and not small sparks can start fires or cause explosions.

I do use Amzoil and would be very surprised if you can detect any sparks coming from the exhausts.

If we were in the woods and using 4 cycle engines it would not be considered, they would be in there.