Spark Arrester

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Talon1189, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

Is a Spark Arrester considered an emission component? Just curious as I have read about other users having starting issues with their equipment........Spark Arresters due come in play here if plugged ;) Are these for emissions only?????????? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

2. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

They're designed to do just as they're named. A lot of 2 cycle motors will shoot sparks out of the muffler. They (spark arrestors) are designed to avoid forest fires but can get clogged up and impede the performance of your equipment or cut off the motor all together.

3. Talon1189

My original question was not answered...........Is it an "emission component"..........or............NOT?

4. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

It is an emission control in the fact that it prevents sparks from emitting from the exhaust.

It is not an emission control in the sense of controlling pollution.

5. Talon1189

Would I be better to just pull it out for better motor performence? :confused: Thanks!

6. jud149

jud149 LawnSite Member

I have removed all mine from my equipment as I had a new Echo Prunner SA clog up so bad the unit wouldn't run. When I say new, I talking less than 5 hours. I think it depends on where you plan on using the tool. If you going to use it where flying sparks could start a fire, obviosly you would want the SA in place. I live in Florida where I use my equipment for my own yard work and the chances of starting a fire are practically non-existent. As indicated above, the part's sole purpose is to prevent sparks from flying. As far as engine performance, this will not be effected as long as the part is clear of residue.