Spark Arrestor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnman72, Apr 12, 2008.

1. lawnman72

lawnman72 LawnSite Member

I have a leaf blower that won't run as good as it used to and I think it might be the spark arrestor screen. I know how to take it out, but how do you clean it?

2. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Take it off & leave it off

3. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Is a spark arrestor just a screen?

4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, and the best way to clean it is to place it in the garbage.

5. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

Yes it is a screen to help prevent sparks from starting grass or forrest fires in High risk area's. I live in TN so their is minimal risk for starting fire's.

6. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL. made a call at work a few weeks ago and had to put out a lawn that was on fire because of this. totally scorched a lawn in a very upscale neighborhood, it unique now, the only black one in the development. the guy "didn't have a clue" as to what started it, but i checked and there was no screen. :usflag:

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I usually pull them as soon as I buy any hand-held equipment. If you must have one, it would probably be easier to just buy a new one than clean it.

8. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

THey are very easy to clean. Just get a benzomatic gas can and burn it out. The carbon build up burns off and then you just blow it out. You can also take off the muffler, hold it with a pair of pliers, and burn it till it glows. THis loosens up a lot of carbon build up on the inside and then you can blow it out with compressed air. Runs like new.