spark arrestors, remove or leave in

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mark lagasse, Dec 3, 2006.

1. mark lagasse

mark lagasse LawnSite Member

My dealer told me that my equpment would perform a little better with them removed but they were not allowed to pull them so I did it myself. Any opinions?

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull em out they will stop up in a matter of time.
  3. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We remove them because they will clog and reduce power.
  4. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

If you want to keep them in there, I have a few new ones that never saw one day of action. You can have them.:laugh:
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I guess I am paranoid... I leave mine in. It is usually so dry around here that I am concerned I might start a fire. You can clean those things with a small propane torch, right? Or even buy a replacement.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Your propane torch has a better chance of starting a fire. Spark arresters are the apendix of 2-cycle equipment. Do you know of anyone who knows someone who met someone who had a fire due to a missing spark arrester?
  7. Scagguy

Scagguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine are gone before the equipment gets used. From my days of flying r/c airplanes, I can say that I never had fire from a 2 stroke motor. Turbines, well....that's another story.
  8. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have plenty also.:)
  9. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking the only sparks from 2 cycle might be from a dirt bike's exhaust. I can't see them being an issue for small engines, but probably is an legal issue. Personally, I've never removed them but never had any running issues. Maybe I'll remove them from my B/P and see if there's any difference.
  10. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

Iam like the other guys mine are removed before the machine is ever fired up