1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spark Arrestors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Aug 10, 2000.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I had a spark arrestor clog up on a shindaiwa T-260 and was thinking about just taking it out and tossing it. Will this affect anything as far as the life of the trimmer. Thanks
  2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

No, it should not affect the trimmer in any negative way. I guess you are assuming it would create a slightly lean condition? Removing it will allow it to flow exhaust only moderately better than it did when it was new and had a clean spark arrestor.

I choose to run mine without. But I guess if you lived in an area where wild fires were a pretty frequent thing, your decision would likely be different.
  3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Take it out. You"ll never have to worry about it clogging at the wrong time again. I remove all the screens on my 2 cycle equipment and have never had a problem.
  4. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

take it out it helps my equipment run smoother. Lawn equipment store said it shouldnt hurt equipment. The only problem is that you can get a few hundred fine in some states. It is really ment for California
  5. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

Thanks Guys! I took all of spark arrestors out today and it really made a difference. My T-270 seemed to have more power now than when it was new. So did every thing else.
  6. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

Pretty wicked sounding too :p