1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

spark plug cleaner

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ratherbeboating, Mar 9, 2004.

1. ratherbeboating

ratherbeboating LawnSite Member

Does anyone use one of those spark plug cleaners???? the ones that sand blast or bead blast the plug. I think they have electric ones and pneumatic ones.

I have some fouled plugs that I sand with 300grit and put them back to use but I was wondering on how well those little cleaners work.
  2. ducky1

ducky1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was always kinda concerned about the amount of grit that was left in the plug that I was putting in the engine. Never figured that it was worth the chance. Just put in a new one.
  3. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

carb cleaner in a pinch but for 3.00 just buy new
  4. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I haven't seen one of those for a long time. I have used them before they work fine just use compressed air to blow it out after.
    But what hole in one lco said is probable best.
  5. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got one of the air/blaster cleaners - they work great! Well worth the $20 - they use sand blasting material/silica. They're really great for oily/fouled plugs. Buy one!
  6. Wangel

Wangel LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

I use to have one of those sand type blasters for spark plugs. I now purchase my plugs at close outs or when they go on sale and then stock up. Normally I pay about a buck a piece. At that price it doesn't pay to clean. I remember trying to track down an engine miss and was sure it was one of the plugs. I took it out and recleaned and regapped. Engine still missed. I finally found a very small crack on the plug insulator. The 2 or 3 hours of wasted time would not of happened if I had just put in a new plug.
  7. SER

SER LawnSite Member

Just buy a new one. They are cheaper than having to replace a piston and bore the piston cylinder. Plugs are about one dollar. Come on you can afford that!
  8. ratherbeboating

ratherbeboating LawnSite Member

Here's the scenario, the small engine is in a 1972 CT 70 minibike for my kids. the bike was built to run on leaded gasoline.

Since we don't have leaded anymore the plugs seem to be fouling every 30-45 mins of riding. This makes for more new plugs than normal, as you can imagine.

I've been told to run the bike on oil/gas mix and this will take care of the plug fouling but it will smoke a little bit.

needless to say I have more fouled plugs than I care to mention.

so with this scenario of fouling a plug every day of riding and not just replacing plugs once a month................the question still stands, does anyone use a plug cleaner and how well do they work???

9. blue_steel2

blue_steel2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

ratherbeboating: I have a cheapo pneumatic plug cleaner from Harbor Freight and it works fine. I think it was on sale for $9 at one of their stores.[http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=32860]. I mounted it on the side of my workbench where it is out of the way. Some of the oddball plugs I have for chain saws and hedge clippers are $3 to $4 each, so the cleaner has paid for itself many times over. Just make sure you blow the plug off really well to remove the abrasive before putting it back into the engine.
  10. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Plugs are cheap enough to just put a new one in. I personnaly do not have the time to clean one.