Spark plug cross threaded

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Scott's Lawn Maintenance, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

After removing spark plug and cleaning it went to put it back in and was having a difficult time. I was able to get it about half way in, I think the threads got crossed what should I do at this point to correct this kawasaki engine fs541.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

get a helicoil

3. Scott's Lawn Maintenance

Scott's Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member

Is that similar to a tap and dye ?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I am embarrassed to say that I don't know exactly what a helicoil is. However, years ago I tightened a valve cover on my motorcycle to tight while it was hot, stripped out the threads, took it to the shop. They put a helicoil in it. Fixed it and it worked for years.

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Scott..you have 2 choices..
    Use a sparkplug thread chaser...

Or..Helicoil it...
    In either case..make sure to blow all the shavings out of the cylinder before you try to start it.

IMG_0344.JPG

6. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Just an added tip to Slapper's post that works for me--load the grooves of the tap or thread chaser with grease gun grease. The grease will pick up all or nearly all of the metal removed and prevent it from entering the cylinder. Follow up by blowing out the cylinder as a further precaution.

7. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Hey Scott you can buy one of these kits on eBay cheap they work really well
    If you not sure how it's done just go to You-Tube there is lots of videos on it:waving:

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Good tip ...Dutch...
    I have stuffed a piece of a shop towel in the hole before threading..
    and dug it out when finished...but ..as you always say...results may vary..

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Next plug you change add a little anti seize to keep the aluminum and steel from welding together. Always start spark plugs or any threaded fastner for that matter by hand. If it doesn't go in easily, something is wrong.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

I have even used a piece of 3/8 hose and slid it down over the spark plug in hard to reach areas. If the plug doesn't thread right, the hose will slip around the plug and not cross thread.