Spark plug fouling??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Twotoros, May 29, 2001.

1. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone else fouling more plugs than usual? Gas is the problem I am told and last year is when it started. I used to foul one a year and now it is mor like one a month or more.

2. GrassWorx

GrassWorx LawnSite Member

I have been having the same problem i was told by a mechanic that i was running to high of a octane gas. who knows but i will only by the cheap stuff from here on out just to see what happens good luck

3. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

;) I've been running Amoco ultimate in mine ....

4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like I am too. Tonight while I was mowing my own lawn my mower fouled yet another plug. 2 plugs in 2 weeks. At this rate, I'm gonna be goin' through plugs left and right! I don't really know what's causing it but it's really ticking me off.

5. CSRA Landscaping

I'm guessing you're using a scag! :laugh: My problem on my tiger cub was that the throttle was set just a wee bit too high. When it was readjusted, the fouled-out plugs seemed to go away. May be something to consider.

6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I really should change my name...LOL. I was using my Toro 21" and after maybe cutting my lawn once before and another lawn once, it fouled already. I have been told that some spark plugs just mess up no matter what, even if they are clean. They are just faulty, or so I have been told, and you should just go buy a new one. This happened on my dirt bike too and I was very surprised it fouled after the short time I had ridden it. Popped a new one in and started right up. I'm keeping 10-20 plugs if the Toro keeps fouling!

7. CSRA Landscaping

:rolleyes:

's what I get for assuming.

8. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I used reg gas last year and super this year . Same problems. I now buy plugs by the box.Before I just kept an extra in the tool box. Sure is nice of the gas companies to charge us and arm for a poor product.

9. Mr.Green Jeans

Mr.Green Jeans LawnSite Member

I have been having the very same problem. I the summer months they sell reformulated gas. I have never fouled out a spark plug on my snow blower (8hp 4 stroke), but then they dont sell reformulated gas in the winter months. I have also read articles in various car magazines that said it would not cause problems in old cars but could cause problems on lawn equipment .....:blob3:

Quote : If you dont have enough time to do it right the first time .How will you ever have enough time to do it right the second time...... :blob3:

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not having any problems. The fuel we get down here is not to bad. I still have the original plug in the BR400 from last year. 1 trimmer has been replaced and none in any of my mowers since the beginning of last year. Probably with my luck all of them will need it tomorrow.:eek: