1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Spark Plug on 17hp V-Twin Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Andrews Lawn, Mar 24, 2002.

1. Andrews Lawn

Andrews Lawn LawnSite Member

i just bought a used 52' Wright Stander today and it came with no owners manual so i thought someone else might be able to help me with some things on it

First: What spark plug should be in the 17 hp kawa?

Second: I know u are supposed to use Mobil 1 synthetic oil in the hydros but what weight is reccommended by Wright? 20w-50?

i appreciate any help.
  2. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 17 kawi and use an RCJ8Y plug.

As for as the hydros on your machine I don`t know. Mabey their web site has a manual that you can download. Good luck with your machine!!!!:D
  3. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

RCJ8Y here also. bobcat reccoends 3 different types of fluid for their hydros, and we use the 20w-50 as our choice.
  4. Guardian

Guardian LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I am glad this question came up. Yesterday I pulled mu plugs on my 17 KAW to buy new ones and have had trouble finding the same ones. MIne are Bosch RO 091. Several places can't find it. They say the manual calls for other plugs. What brand plug is the RCJ84?
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

pull the champions and put in a set of the appropriate nkg plugs.
    see if u can hear the difference that i can.
  6. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

I agree. Use the NGKs. They make more of a difference than you'd ever think a spark plug could.
  7. Andrews Lawn

Thanks for the replys:

Where should I go to buy NGKs? Does anybody know the number on those? And also, does anyone know about the hydro fluid in the Wright standers?
  8. GAM321

GAM321 LawnSite Member

I get NGK at NAPPA if they dont have they get them.
  9. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Most commercial lawn equipment stores sell NGKs. I'll check the number on mine in the morning. But you can also just give them the Champion number and they'll cross reference it.
  10. Andrews Lawn

I pulled the spark plug out of my 17hp kaw. today and there was a CJ8Y in there. Now I assuming that it is not the same as a RCJ8Y, it looks like a trimmer spark plug . Should I not even be running the mower with the champion CJ8Y in it? I also pulled the plugs on my Shindaiwa blower and trimmer and they had CJ8 in them (also bought used).

I'm confused because why would a mower have the same size plug as a trimmer?