1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

spark plug trouble/question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK I'm having a problem with "dry" fouling plugs. Black soot builds up until they foul out. I have now tried 3 different brands of plugs with the same results.

This time I ran full throttle from start up and kept it there for 1 hour. I checked afterwards and found the new set already has a black soot buildup around the bottom after only one hour.

So do I go to a hotter plug on the heat index, assume it's too rich or start being conserned about other issues?

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What kind of engine we talking about?
  3. ztrguy

ztrguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE FL

I had the exact thing happen to me. I was using a brand new 2003 Exmark Lazer HP 52" w/ 23hp Kawi. I would put new plugs in and within 2 hours it would start missing and the plugs would be fouled out. I went through 4 spark plugs. I took it to my dealer and he adjusted the float. He said it was too rich and getting too much gas. After he adjusted the float, I haven't had anymore problems with it. And I've put 40 hours on the mower since then.