Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Vibe Ray, May 26, 2001.

1. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Which spark plugs are the best? I have a 19 HP Kawi. How often should I change them? I tried a while back to see if there was a Bosch +4 Platinum that would work with it, (looks interesting, thought I'd try it out) but the guy said that Bosch doesn't make a "+4" that would work with my engine. Anyway, which sparkplug (brand, type, etc.) should I buy when it comes time to replace it? Or do you have any comments on spark plugs?

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I buy the ones that cost 99cents from my dealer. Seems to make cents for me, becuase if the mower is running rough or wont start that is the first thing i check, and they have alwasy worked for me. By the way why is there no "cents" key on the keyboard like the $$$ sign?

3. Vibe Ray

Just bringin' back up......

4. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

ive used splitfire and platinum, ngk and champion. they all work well, and the cooler platinums and splitfires seem to help older equip. start better, but have no effect I've felt on newer stuff. Dave g

5. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Vibe Ray,
    If one of my sparkplugs gets fouled I just sandblast it and stick it back in there. I'll do this a couple of times and then buy new ones.....whatever the parts store has.

6. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

My experience has proven Nippon Densos hold up the best in 2 cycle and small 4 cycle engines that most lawn equipment uses, however in larger america engines (3 cylinders and up) they don't seem to last as long a bosch.

7. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

VibeRay, seems like I'm running NGKs. I just took one of the old ones to the parts store and bought some to match it.

Lawnmanscott, what's the matter, can't find the ¢ key?

8. Vibe Ray

Hey Jeff, how did you do that "¢" thing?! (I just copy and pasted to get it here)

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

10. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

VR, et al:
    press the 'alt' key and on your number pad hit 155. so 'alt 155' will result in '¢.' There's also the matter of being able to type 45º, which you can do with 'alt 167' to get the 'º' sign. Play around with it.