1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Spark Plugs??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VnDrWLawnCare, Oct 17, 2001.

1. VnDrWLawnCare

VnDrWLawnCare LawnSite Member

I was just curious on what brand of plugs most of you guys prefer. Do you have a specific brand that you purchase for everything, or do you go by the specifications in the manual?
    I was just wondering. Since I have been told some different things by my dealer on what plug to use.
    Eric:blob2:

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

My Shindaiwa/Redmax dealer recommends Honda plugs for 2 cycle engines, so that's what I use and I've had great luck with them.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

ive used champion in a lot of things . but switched
    on my z and it just plain didnt sound strong at all .
    took them right back out. it may have run just fine but ill never know,as it sounded wimpy on champions. it had been running nkg

4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

On small engines and 2 cycles we prefer Nippon Densos. Second choice would be NGKs. Champions and other american plugs just don't last or work as well. On our larger gas engines that are american made Champions work better than NDs or NGKs.

5. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

ngk in everything

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I run NGK's also. They seem to last much longer in all my equipment.

My mustang street motor was a testing bed for many things. I tried many different types of plugs. Bosch sucks by the way. The NGK's lasted longer under harder conditions and were the most responsive. Autolites would come in second. My 600 hp race motor will run only NGK's.

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

In my Kohler 25's work great.

My "junk" Kohler 25's (2 of them) have logged about 3400 hours with no troubles.

Plugs: Bosch Platinmum
    Gas: 93 Premium unleaded June, July, Aug, Sept,
    87 Unleaded March, April, Oct, Nov.
    Oil: Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic changed each 300 hours.
    Air Filter: Stock w/ 5w-30 oil on pre-cleaner, kept pristine-clean.
    Oil Filter: Deutch or Wix. NEVER NEVER a FRIGGIN FRAM!!!

Ken

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Did you say 300 hours on an oil change? Thats a little extreme wouldn't you say? The manufacturer recomends 50 even with synthetics. I run synthetics and have never gotten the mfg to admit they are better.