Spark Plugs

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MHubes, Jul 13, 2002.

1. MHubes

MHubes LawnSite Member

I recently changed my spark plugs on a Briggs and Stratton V Twin engine with Magnetron ignition from Champion J19LM to the new Champion EZ-Start replacement for the J19LM and the mower wouldn't start when hot and had difficulty igniting fuel. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Does anyone know why it happened? I switched back to the old plugs and everything is fine now.
  2. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

That's odd. I figured those were "better" than the regular ones. I recently put one in my rear engine mower, and it runs and starts fine. :confused:
  3. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

If you do in fact have a B&S V-Twin engine, than you SHOULD be using a Champion RC12YC, or an RC14YC spark plug. However if you have an opposed B&S twin, then you would use the RJ19LM, or a J19LM. The J19LM has a much shorter reach than the RC12, or 14 plugs, along with a very different heat range to let the engine run correctly.

4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

In small engines Champions just don't seem to last. We try to use Nippon Densos or NGKs. Especially in two cycle equipment. Most B&S engines use a ND W20M-U(short plug) or a W20-U(tall plug). If the unit uses oil then a hotter plug W14-U can be used.