SPARK PLUGS ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman, Nov 1, 2000.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

HOW OFTEN ARE YOU GUY'S/GAL'S CHANGING YOUR SPARK PLUGS? MOTOR IN QUESTION WOULD BE A 20HP KOLHER TWIN. ALSO HOW OFTEN DO YOU CHANGE THEM IN YOUR 2 CYCLE EQUIPMENT? WHICH PLUGS DO YOU PREFER? CHAMPION,NGK,BOSCH,OR OTHER BRANDS?
    THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE.
    Mowman

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Kinda off topic, but there was a good article regarding the use of "split-fire" spark plugs in this months Grounds Maintenance Mag...not recommended to use.

By the way...has anyone else noticed the trend in the Trade Magazines towards the smaller landscape companies? I have been receiveing these publications for the last 5-6 years and remember when I first started reading them how they were all geared towards large operations...not any more...guess they've come to realize there are more smaller operations than larger! Hope they keep it up...makes for much more interesting reading as opposed to how to aerate a putting green.

3. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

EVERY SPRING I REPLACE PLUGS ,FILTERS AND GIVE EACH MACHINE A TOP TO BOTTOM TUNEUP&INSPECTION..I CANT AFFORDMUCH DOWN TIME DURING PEAK SEASON AND IT SEEMS LIKE CHEAP INSURANCE. I WOULD HOWEVER FOLLOW THE MANUFCTURERS SPECS ON PARTS REPLACEMENT. ON A PER MACHINE COST I CAN MAKE BACK THE $$$$ ON MY FIRST LAWN.

4. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I do what Turfguy does. Change them every spring. Like he said, its cheap insurance. I'll take a couple of days and do nothing but work on the equipment.

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I change them when I feel the machine is not cranking as easily or running smoothly. I use mostly NGK, but there is nothing wrong with Champion. They had a bad rap a few years ago, but they are better as of late.