sparks flying

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by wowmowwow, Feb 21, 2007.

1. wowmowwow

wowmowwow LawnSite Member

i was mowing last night with a side grass gobbler and noticed tiny rocks from the road were sparking as they were going into the catcher. my Question is, given the right conditions, will a fire start in my grass catcher? lol

2. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've never experienced that, but the chances of that happening are very very very slim...but always expect the unexpected.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

You always see this kind of thing when it is dark. Sparks are frequent. Just imagine, all day long - in hot dry conditions, we just don't see them. I sure wouldn't worry about it...especially for night time conditions. I'll tell you what is much more likely to be a fire hazard, that would be grass clippings left in the bagger or in the back of the truck. This stuff IS combustible.
  4. wowmowwow

yah my wife siad that she put a mulch fire out at a walmart once. hot outside and as she was kicking the mulch aroundtrying to air it out it cought fire for a few seconds. she put it out. cars were driving by thinking she started it. lol
  5. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

yes a fire can and will start.its like a cotton picker let one pick a rock up and you will see a fire almost every time from the spark.
  6. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i doubt it as long as the grass in your catcher isn't bone dry.
  7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

one other thing you really shouldn't be mowing rocks. i know it sounds like fun and its cool to see sparks flying but it tears up your blades and well its just plain dumb to do it
  8. wowmowwow

nah it was by no means fun! lol
  9. lawn guy1350

lawn guy1350 LawnSite Member

its very doubtful a fire will start, if that was the case wed all be on fire.