Sparrows

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mtdman, Jun 27, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Ever have sparrows follow you around while you mow, flying in circles around your mower? I have this at certain yards. At first I thought they were attacking me, but they never really came very close. My old partner said they are swooping down to grab the insects that the mower scares up. Anyone know for sure? I must have had a dozen of these things at one yard today.

:D

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't had sparrows do that but I have had killdeer follow me around a lawn while swooping at me. Usually there is a nest close by and thats how they defend it, trying to distract the"predator". I only see them on some of my rural lawns. When i was a kid they would do the same thing while i mowed my parents lawn, sometimes getting really close to my head.

3. mtdman

I really don't think they are attacking me. I noticed today that as soon as I put the lawnmower away they go away. I was walking through the lawn in the same spots I was mowing and they weren't bothering me then.

4. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

I think that thing about them picking up insects is true. One of the larger, more wide open properties that we mow has a lot of smaller insects buzzing around when we mow over them, and now that you bring that up it does seem as though the birds are doing that.

Mark Wood
    Wood Brothers Lawn Care

5. BOTURF

BOTURF LawnSite Senior Member

probally not sparrows , bet they are purple martiens as i have them bussing me several times over last few years picking insects outa the air

6. mtdman

Purple martians? I thought martians were green!

7. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

They're Purple Martins. They arent scared of anything and they probably were buzzing you. They are fun to watch actually especially if there is a cat near by. They will buzz em and drive the cat insane.

8. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, they are purple martins. Sorry about that.

9. mtdman

Yeah, these birds are pretty fearless. They get right up on me before turning.

10. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

"Barn Swallows would be my guess. There some of the best flyer's out there. They fly right under my barn door at full speed. It's only about a three inch space. Do they look like this?

barn swallows.jpg