Speak from experience only please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Green Pastures, Aug 30, 2002.

1. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking to replace a Toro 44" gear drive W/B w/ Trac-Vac.
    I really like my 36" Toro Hydro W/B and want to get a Hydro to replace my geared 44". I have been considering another Toro with the new style decks. But lately I've been hearing alot of good things about Exmark. Their decks do look nice and the rest of the mower is (basically) the same as Toro. Yes I know they're made by the same company.

Who has owned both mowers Toro and Exmark........what are your thoughts? Better mulching? Better cut in general? Reliability?

PLEASE :blob3: PRETTY PLEASE :blob4: ONLY REPLY IF YOU HAVE OWNED AND OPERATED BOTH TYPES OF MOWERS. The last thing I want is a big argument from people with hearsay evidence. OK! Thanks in advance!

Scott

2. Green Pastures

WHAT.....nobody want to touch this one for fear of starting a war???

In addition to my consideration of replacing my Toro gear drive w/b with a Hydro w/b I'm now thinking about a Walker.

I do all high end residential and I need the bagged and clean look every time I leave that's why I'm needing more bagging capability.

Anybody had both or all three brands listed???? Help :D

Scott

3. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Demo them. Only you will know which is best for you. Use the search button for what everyone has already said.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

A Walker is for you . you are Useing walk behineds now so You don't need anything fast. My freind has a walker it Does bag very good. but It seam's Kind Of slow for Me. I have All Lazer's now with trac Vac's. I Use the boot For a bag no Bag Option. I just lift it To Not bag Or i Lower it to bag. SAVES A LOT OF TIME. And i Only Take Small Amounts of grass away.
    Good luck. John.

5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Toro i believe has stopped making those new style decks with vertical height pins like the exmark and scag decks. They went back to the older style (like your 44 im assumming) with horizontal deck pins. The engine choices are 15 or 20 elec start kohlers. I do like toro mowers, however, imho the tbar hydro is a little jumpy. Also the 36 spins 3 blades for some reason and discharges and cuts well but isnt great on leaves. It has 3 antiscalp rollers.
    Exmark has the new ECS on their tthp. They offer a 15kawi twin recoil start on the 36. It has 2 blades. The cut is good discharge good and mulching capabilities. The bag is 2 bushel smaller (i dont know if you will continue with your trac vac). The deck has vertical height pins and 1 anti scalp roller. ECS is your preference. I find it hard on my fingers. Its not a pleasure to use such as a tbar, but it is easier to manuever around tight properties and you can raise the deck when going over bumps. With the toro raising the deck is a somewhat hard thing to do on a hydro. Also exmark manual blade engagement and toro is electric clutch. I believe the price is close around $4500 here.

Walker, i have no personal experience with. JD just started carrying them and have one they mow their grass with and one that sits. It is much more $$ than the toro brand walker mower. The cut and bagging is great. Stripes well and is easy to drive but i didnt like the fast slow shift on the right side. The toro has 25 kohler 48 ghs or mulching it converts and is a great mower too. Alot of lcos have them around here including a neighbor. It sucks up leaves great cuts well and he loves driving it. There is no speed shift and ground speed is 3mph higher than the walker. Last time i checked they were on sale for $8k and the walker for just a ghs deck same engine was $9200 and $1500 for a mulching deck.
    sorry if i missed what you needed.

6. Green Pastures

My Toro 36" hydro only sping 2 blades, which one are you talking about??

I think I'll demo the Walker and the Toro 355.

Scott

7. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I own BOTH.

I HATE the new style Toro and consider it inferior to both the old style Toro and any Exmark.

I prefer the TTHP ECS from Exmark.

I'm not going to write a book of all the reasons here, but I feel strongly about it.

8. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Of what I have read so far, I would steer you toward the Exmark Turf Tracer HP with ECS and electric start ... oh and of course, an in-line two wheeled velky ... I am sure you will not be disappointed.:blob2:

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i haven't used a toro so i won't comment on them. i do however have a walker 42" GHS and it will suck just about anything off the ground (including 2 inch diameter rocks). i have used an exmark lazer with a mulch kit and with the ultra vac system and i can say for all around use, i'd go with this. 9.5 mph ground speed, very stable (lazer z hp), powerful, great cut with micro mulch, side discharging or using the vac. if you can afford one, that's my recommendation. i do see a lot of toro Z masters here, but by comparison of what i know, i'd choose the exmark.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have an older Toro 15hp Hydro 44" and it is a workhorse. Very versatile from wet spring grass to mulching fall leaves with doubles.
    I also have a Walker 26EFI w/52 SD and 42GHS decks. That combination makes me very efficient on 99% of the properties I cut. That 1% is left for the Lawnboy 21" trim mower that fits thru those 30" gates.

LSDLS hit it on the head. I am not gonna try and convince you one way of another, DEMO them. Its your money, put them on the properties that you mow and see what they can do.