Speaking of onions.....

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 30, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Picture #1: The nightmare 45 year old mess we ran into today. The isolation valve was bad but fortunately we knew of another one. Site guy had snapped both right angle valve's stems internally by cranking them down too tight.

Picture #2: So now he can get down on his hands and knees and use PVC ball valves by hand. :cool:

Ivanhoe PVB & RA Valves Replacement WP-01.jpg

Ivanhoe PVB & RA Valves Replacement WP-02.jpg

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Geeze Hayes,
    I thought we were talking onions. Here I thought I would see the take over of the Visalia.
    No just another pit. Glad you are still workin. We have 2 inches of white stuff and a mud pit. Guess it is time to take a break and wait a week to go back to work.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Not to be critical, but wouldn't it have been better to just go straight to the pipe instead of using 4 90ells off of the top valve in the second picture?? I've run into too many leaks with multiple 90's like that, plus all the thrust blocking that would be needed. That would be a nightmare in the making up here where the frost would have fun with it.

4. PurpHaze

LOL... It was a play on words from another thread. I forgot to mention that the original PVB had no unions and that we installed the new (actually slightly used) one with unions so it can be easily removed in the future.

It's actually a fine pit. This site is one with clay and hard pan and we were fortunate that everything wasn't too deep. We're facing rain possibly today and tomorrow so I wanted to get this done before that soil turns to mush. :D

5. PurpHaze

Valid observation. The picture doesn't do justice to what actually is there. Although in the first picture the top valve goes directly into the lateral line (slip fix is from repair four years ago) it was under a lot of stress. When we plumbed all the new galvanized the new valve lined up horizontally but not vertically. My originally intent was to face the PVC ball valve towards that line and then use a new slip fix to reconnect but there is about an 1-1/2" deflection (if carried out to the end of that lateral line). Rather than put stress back on it past the PVC ball valve I decided to face both valves the same direction and 90 over to it also. All the 90s past the PVC ball valves are on lateral lines so they wouldn't need thrust blocking here because we don't experience the frost/freeze problems you guys have up there. :D

6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

The original looks more like an AVB. I didn't know those 'sprinkler' valves were subject to breakage, given the stem diameters. Not that there are any of them around here for comparison. Before there were ball valves, a sprinkler angle valve might see use for the system's main shutoff valve. I'll bet they have a better leak-free track record than the ball valves do.

7. PurpHaze

This guy can't seem to get it through his head that when the right angle valve FIRST starts to shut down improperly he should put in a work order so we can change out the valve's washer. He ends up cranking down so hard with a key that he snaps the shaft internally.

We have PVC ball valves in other parts of the district that have been working fine for better than eight years. However, with this guy all bets are off. :cry:

8. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

Looks pretty good to me. is that from a home or old building? I only see that at commercial sites when the pvb is out by the mainwater line. or subdivison enterances. that system was 45 years old? what kinda controller did they use? one of those old hamster wheels with the little click buttons? i have ran into those in Groose Pointe Mi. wow those systems are old , Brass heads,valves,manifolds, mainlines are galvanized steel. Impossible to work on when there all co-roaded.

so you guys work all year round i take it? wintertime sucks over here. we just finished the year out yesterday. weather is to cold and were about to get somemore snow.

9. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

Hey Jimmy Hendrix! how did you get the monkey face to appear on your threads?

10. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Anyone use the new Febco PVBs that have unions on the ball valves? I've used a couple in the past year or so. Supplier didn't even realize they were making them that way, or that they carried them that way.