1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Speaking of pop up emitters

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnscapesLLC, Jan 19, 2008.

1. lawnscapesLLC

lawnscapesLLC LawnSite Member

My parents just had their basement water proofed and the line from the sump pump was run outside and ends with a pop up emitter. In the summer there is no problem, but spring fall and winter so much water is pumped out that all the ground around the thing ends up being a wet soggy mess. The side of the house slops a tiny bit into a little valley between the houses. Whats is, or is there, an easy way to prevent this wetness? I would have dug a decent hole and had the pipe run into it sort of like a septic leeching field, but as it's already installed i was wondering if there was anything I could do to prevent the soggy mess and the mud it leaves.

2. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

The little valley between the houses is a swale. It sounds like the swale is not properly graded and that is causing the water to puddle. You need to change the grade so that the swale has at least a 2% slope.
  3. lawnscapesLLC

I'd say that it is close to 2%. the problem is the whole development is built on a series of filled in drainage streams(for lack of the appropriate term). When it rains all the houses have like little rivers or lakes behind them or in between them. There is also some bad flooding in my area, tho the worst of which was corrected by the township. The area also gets water logged quickly. There is only like 15-20' between the house and the property line on the side of the house so not sure if i could re-grade it. it does not puddle too bad i guess the major problem is lack of drainage. between the emitter and the wet spring, fall, and winter the area is just mainly soggy all the time, but does not puddle that much around the emitter. do you think there is an easier fix than re-grading the whole side of the house?
  4. backors

backors LawnSite Member

Could you relocate the pop up emitter to a better location (better drainage).

You might also put in a catch basin with a pump, then run the discharge pipe to a better location. A bit of work, but lots less than changing the grade.....
  5. lawnscapesLLC

Thats kind of what i was thinking of doing except i was going to get an old plastic trash can and drill a bunch of holes in it. Dig a deep hole, line the bottom 6" or so with rocks and place the trashcan in the hole and have the pipe go into the can and fill the can with rocks, put on the lid, put soilon the lid and plant some seed and have the water just leach thru the can, thru the rocks and then into the ground. I'm hoping that would eleviate the problem. and this way you would never see anything above ground. Think that may work?
  6. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

Is this a new neighborhood that is still under construction? If so then the bond has not been released. Which means you can get the builder to fix the problem.
  7. lawnscapesLLC

no, the neighborhood is over 50 years old
  8. Henry

Henry LawnSite Senior Member

Instead of using a garbage can get a flo-well and follow the directions. You don't put stone inside the tank but you can dig a larger hole and surround the tank with stone for better drainage. When you fill the tank with stone there's very little room left for water.
  9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll second the Flo-well from NDS. You may need more than one depending on the flow calculations and you may be digging a deep hole to find permeable soil. Perhaps you can use that area to create a rain garden and take advantage of the wet soil and put it to good use. Either way you will be filtering and returning the rain water back to the aquifer, where we need it.