speaking of safety

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by 1idejim, Aug 31, 2012.

1. soafone

soafone LawnSite Member

This has all got me thinking. I installed a timer today on an exterior brick wall of a home. I ran 14/2 power wire through a conduit into the home. I put a 3-prong plug on it and plugged it into an inside receptacle that is not GFi'd. Any dangers?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

I was talking about turning off the circuit at a breaker panel(then verify with volt meter), then trace. Why not trace from breaker panel if breaker is off? Good to know on tracing ground wire.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

what you do with your life is up to you, it's your employees that should be weighing on your mind. last thing you want is an accident at the workplace, they're never good for business.

i have traced many wires from the panel for many reasons but you really don't need to open a panel for damage prevention sweep searches.

the idea of a sweep search is to find potential obstructions, not identify them precisely.

by connecting to the ground wire you have placed a signal on all of the conductors connected to that system. you can also accomplish this by clipping onto the box itself, it is grounded so that works too.

by clipping onto the galvanized riser for a pressure switch you can trace the power to the panel, if the connection is plastic tubing, the frame works better than the cover screw but both can be points of connection for wire tracing.

best of luck

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

the OP is a testimonial as to why pumping ground water is safest with above-ground pumps, located above flood levels.

5. muddywater

I guess clamping on to the panel is a no brainer especially w employees. Thanks jim
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

7. muddywater

How is it on 18 gauge wire?

8. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you only remember 1 thing that i say about locating it should be "a wire is a wire" .

all conductors are the same but have different qualities.

it's hard to say how conductive your soils are and that is prolly more important than the wire gauge is.

the reason i suggest the pipehorn over the pro 800 is that you would be able to place the pipehorn in situations with a green locator and he could manage to use it well enough to avoid wires and metal pipes. that is what you're after.

i would really like to have an older pipehorn myself.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. muddywater

That thing is sweet. Looks like there is a few on ebay for $400.

I could get an older 521 from one of my guys for $250, but that pipe horn is prob a better tool this application. And would be nice to add to my collection(521 and fault locator).

I guess if used a 521 i could always ground to the main breaker box of the house?

Pretty much all clay soils here. How well do they conduct?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I trace in clay all the time.