1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Speaking of sweet old ladies...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by oneEXMARKfan, Apr 15, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Anyone ever seen an elderly lady struggling with a push mower out in the heat? If I see any this season, am going to try to cut it for them just to be nice. I figure it will always come back to me. A little bit of my time, and a little bit in gas, ect......I would hate to think I couldn't afford it. (now days there are alot of "sue-happy" people out there, and sometimes it doesn't pay to be kind.....but I think I'll take my chances)
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i picked up a very nice older lady this year, man i'm happy i did, she is great to talk to after a long day when my route is over and i finish with her. her husband was a very good friend of my fathers, and he passed away last year and she needed someone to maintain her lawn, so i gave her a price $3 cheaper than normal and gave her the 1st cutting free, now her sister is going to call me do do her lawn and she's trying to get a few neighbors to switch to me.

the other day she called me to come and look at a bare spot (10' by '10) and she what i could do with it. after i told her, she said ok. then after that me and her must of talked for a half hour (b/s) and when i was about to leave i went ot shake her hand and she gave me a hug. this is a 1st, i have had customers say there lawn is the best on the street and would just smile at my work and be very pleased that i cut there lawn. this made my day even my week because it happened on tues. and i'm still talking about it, it makes me feel very good that not only am i doing a great job in the yard but that just by me taking time out of my day and talking to a nice older lady and helped make her happier because she had someone to talk to.
  3. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

It is a good feeling Joshua. It always seemed to me like "older people" were easier to please (more grateful) [although, there are exceptions) I guess most were raised a different way. The only "problem" is that some like to "talk your ear off", but I'm sure that most are lonely, and I just hope that when I get old, there will be someone to listen to me every once in a while. (it's going to happen to all of us one day, and what goes around comes around) *Keep up the good work Joshua........Your deff. on the right track, and no doubt you'll have a great future in this business!
  4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you guys are cool as heck
  5. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I started my business catering to elderly customers, and I'll never let them down.
  6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Dont get me started on the elderly :). The elderly are my main money making customers. I am not a social worker. When I see an old lady out pushing her yard I see a person who most likely(maybe not) but in my business mindset has a stash of cash in her pillow case and is too frugal to spend it(or stingy). Or gives all her money to the local church or the tv preachers. So seeing as to how i have to eat too its my job to save her from breaking her foot or leg cutting her grass and making some money at the same time. When that woman goes to church, bingo and out with her friends she is going to tell them you cut grass for free. After dealing with elderly women for a long time. I have found them to be slick, tough, smart business people who like one elderly woman told me she and her friends like to stretch a penny.
    That being said some are genuially poor and needy. But trying to when you start judging people like that you wont be in business very long. One thing I would look at is when you are doing someones yard for free it takes away from a job you could be making money off of. Here for free or there for 35+ dollars?

7. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

I have an old woman who lost her husband to cancer last year. I had installed an irrigation system for them 3 years ago and they were very nice people. She called me last week to see if I could do a fert program for her lawn and when I called her back she had told me her neighbor was going to do it for free. I ask who she had to mow the lawn and she told me that she did it herself with an electric lawn mower. I know she has to be at least 75 years old. I told her that I would cut her lawn weekly for $5.00 just to cover some gas money. She is a happy camper! I couldn't see letting her pushing an electric mower around in the summer heat. She has no family in the area to help her.

So now I can say I have my first $5.00 dollar lawn!
  8. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are missing the big picture by cutting for sweet little old ladies...

I can sum up the "payment plan" in one word...

By the way... You never know who you are helping. A kind act does go a long way... Who knows, she may be worth millions and have no family. You just may beat out her cat for the inheritance. Now wouldn't that be something!
  9. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

People are always different, weither young or old. And it's true that alot are "tight", but I would amagine that living through the depession would have that affect. I don't know, I guess when it came down to it, I would rather go broke than look over when I'm driving in my new air-conditioned truck, and see one stroke-out. True, business should always be business......and that's always been my downfall, but I just can't change in these situations. (as of yet, MOST good deeds that I've done have come back to me) *always different ways to look at it, and good points on both sides to consider, though. [of 'course I did learn how to do many (legal)things to make $, and have never been married, never had any kids, never payed rent, ect... Always stay stress-free, and know how lucky I am.....just like to try to make (deserving) people's lives eaiser.
  10. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

Oh..Chopper Lover! I've seen times I would "cut for cookies"

[Edited by oneEXMARKfan on 04-15-2001 at 10:11 AM]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.