Speaking with other LCO - thread mentioned earlier

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by meets1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

There was a recent thread here about talking to other LCO's. I don't do much of that but the masses on lawnsite think you should so I tried!

Mowing commercial lot, next LCo is mowing a condo- we meet at the property line.This guys is in his late 60's and tells me that my toro Z is no good cuz it leaves marks when I turn - compared to his new 540JD garden tractor. I say hey - nice mower - he says yup - wrote a check for 10K - I din't have borrow or claim bankruptcy. I am like ok, whatever. He then tells me he never mows short either - his deck height was set at 2.75 on his dial. This account we were mowing - lush grass, nice and green - we don't even put the deck down! I am like 3 inches taller than his yard.

He proceeds to tell me he does 22 - 25 yards a day. He is mowing a 8 plex condo (whatever you want to call it) I ask is this one yard or 8 yards - his reply 8 yards.

Then he tells me that anyday I want to playball - he'll take all my accounts cuz not only does he mow better, he is cheaper!

I am at a loss on how to explain his mowing practise's. To me he mows like a farmer (at least in my area) blow all clipping to the outside and just keep going in circles. Then his price - he tells me that he got 2 new accounts from another LCO and they were charging $22.5 / cut - I told the lady she was getting ripped off and I charged her $15 a cut. By this time I am shaking my head and thinking why did I stop. He then proceeds to tell me that I am a Dam@ Fool cuz I do other work for cleints that aren't my regular mowing clients - (I am full service - spray, landscape, mow on and on) himself - mow and snow only. Speaking of snow he tell me that I have way to much invested in snow equipment and driveway to driveway he could keep up if not beat me hands down in snow removal. Thing is I run a TC24D Boomer with front mount blower - he uses a 28 inch John Deere walk behind snowblower.

The more he talked the more I was conveinced that this guy is/was one goofy ba*#&%d!

So for listening to the advice of lawnsite - I guess I did give it a try only to learn never again!

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

In this part of the county you will run into that quite a bit. That seems to be a farmer mentality. Think of it as entertainment.

How close to Sioux City are you?

3. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

Well you are going to run into that ever were you go. I talk to a few LCO in my area we have given each other work and it has becone a good relationship with them.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

besides me their is another large landscaping biz in town we borrow each others equipment in a emergency.

5. Sandgropher

Sandgropher LawnSite Senior Member

I wish i was there i would have been laughing so hard i would have fallen of the mower :laugh: he sounds like a real charactor, things are boring around here everybody get on well and most of my work comes from LCOs that pass stuff on that they cant do (to busy ),,i hope you talk to him again it will be a hoot to see what rubbish he comes up with :laugh:

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

When I hit my late 60s, if I'm mowing a condo complex myself on a JD garden tractor, something went terribly wrong.:confused:

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Different situation, same principal, that some people learn at older ages, some never do.

I was talking to my neighbor yesterday evening, and he told me about a fellow he knows who was telling about farming with horses when he was a kid. They were pretty successful farmers, and his dad went to town one day and bought a brand new tractor and had it delivered.

Well, his grandad blew a gasket. Said it was the dumbest thing he'd ever done, would ruin the farm, etc. After a couple of seasons, the old man went to his son and apoligized, and asked him to teach him how to run the tractor. :) Told him he was wrong, and he would never stare at another hourse's rear as long as he lived, and never did!

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't think everyone is like that. I posted last time that I introduced myself to a neighbor that is a fellow lco. We talk somewhat regularly now. We shoot the s***, trade tips, and vent some stories about customers. I've been giving him some work thats not in my area or that I don't have time for, and in return he gives me jobs that he may not be equipped to handle yet. I think its good to have allies as opposed to enemies. Thats not to say that we can all be friends as there is always a guy like that out there thats gonna talk trash because he feels threatened.

9. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I agree- being in my 60's. Using a garden tractor and telling me that I am the Dam% Fool - go figure!

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep. The guy is a crackpot. We talk and network with several lco's in the area. I don't care, there is so much work out there...I know I can't mow all of Genesee Co.. I don't let the new guys get to me either, as I know they will be gone in a short time, anyway. I just enjoy helping people. It is always nice to hear words like "I'm so glad I met you." or "I'm so glad we talked."