spears vs. dura

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by BSME, Apr 15, 2006.

1. BSME

BSME LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

anyone have any opinions?

I'm only really interested in the insert fittings... I've almost always used spears fittings but another supplier has recently opened up and sell Dura.

they swear by Dura being a superior product but I like Spears more. I don't know why though... it might just be because I'm used to them.

2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

doesnt dura make those new pvc fittings that have the barb elbow built in? or is that dawn? those are cool...

3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We use a mix, but we don't use insert fittings (PVC)

When we do any poly work, all fittings are brass.

4. BSME

from Midwest

you talking about those new manifold fittings that are swivel and have the o rings in them?

Dura makes those

but i was talking about regular insert

5. Dirty Water

I think Koster is talking about these, from Dawn:

dawn.jpg

6. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

I work at a distributor and to be honest with you it's just a fitting. I personally like Dura...and we sell both...the barbs they have on them I think grip better. But I this is preference.

As far as Irrigation goes I would say #1 is heads,valves controller brands, #2 Customer Service, #3 Stock (what you need,when you need it) #4 Price

You just have to weigh the differences. Is a brand of a fitting that important to you?

7. BSME

from Midwest

thankd bdb....

yea it wasn't anything I was considering when deciding which distributor to go with... I was just wondering if people had a preference.... in the picture attached, the dura fitting is on the right...

i like the fact that the spears fittings is shorter because you need less room to work with... if you look though... the barb length is the same the dura fitting just has more room in the middle

PICT1369.JPG

8. bdb

bdb LawnSite Member

OK we must have older parts. There are more barbs and they are closer together on the other spears parts. Must mean Dura has something....but shorter would be nice!

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Dura has some Sch 40 fittings that will nest into other fittings, in tees and elbows.

10. Dirty Water

We use a lot of them, SCH 40 male adapters nested into a tee for tighter manifolds etc.