Spec this

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by allinearth, Aug 16, 2008.

1. allinearth

allinearth LawnSite Senior Member

I have a customer getting ready to start installing a large pond. He wants to irrigate the hillside above it out of the pond. This is a large area, I would guess about 3-4 acres of large trees and grass. So what kind of components would you use? I'm thinking submersible, filter, 2" valves. But not sure what heads. Plenty of area to work with so they should be large area. He asked me about golf course heads. Which ones have you guys had experience with?

2. This job is screaming I-90s

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

rainbird spider sprays:)

4. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Shrubblers

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Be doing the math about volume and re-charge of the pond before you get
    carried away with golf heads. The pump sizing will be have to be considered,
    also.

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

Golf heads for 3-4 acres?? What size pond are we talking here? Figure 30-40gpm per head min AND figure around $200 each head. Unless you can't afford the zones / watering window, re-think your application. I-25's would not be over-kill, but anything bigger probably would be (IMHO). Are we going to re-charge said pond w/ a well? or are we dependent on natural replenishment? An acre/ft of water is just that. If you want to water 3-4 acres of real estate, and you don't have a way to re-fill the water source, it is going to have to be capable of 6-10 acre/ft of storage depending on your planned water usage and your ability to re-charge. In AR, you might get enough rain to cut that in half, but that is still a LOT of water. (trust me on this one, I'm throwing about 8-10 acre/ft a week right now.) To water 4 acres @ 1"/wk means 3 acre/ft of water unless there is a new math out there I'm missing. If the sole purpose is to keep the area alive and not green, you could get by on half that. At 6 acre/ft per month, your still going to have to have some means of re-charging . My little one acre pond looks rough when I've pulled 2 acre/ft from it and am waiting for the irrigation ditch to fill it back up. (usually takes about half a day)

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

An inch of water on an acre would be an acre-inch, not an acre-foot.

8. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

4acres of land @1"/wk = 4acre/inches =1/3 acre/ft/wk and would still be more than an acre/ft/month. That times a 6 month watering season still looks like 6-10acre/ft of storage to me. (but, my math/typing is/was wrong) And before we get out of shape about the six month window, that is how I normally figure it. 6 months @ half rate plus the middle 3 months at all the water you can move equals an average of 6 months at the high rate of application. In AR, the widow is probably longer/higher than that. Maybe an average of 8 months of full irrigation instead of six.

9. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Get a big pump and means to recharge, then RB 8000's.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

5, 4, 3, 2, 1....Time for Kiril to chime in.