1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

special/artistic cuts on patio

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by taproot, Jan 26, 2007.

1. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

Has anyone here done any kind of designs on patio work? My situation is, my inlaws are in the process of building a house and guess who gets the 'FREE JOB" of landscaping? The rear patio I'll be doing is roughly 2,000-2,200 sq ft. I was considering (free job, time to experiment) putting in a large sun in the center of the patio laying out the design and cutting the pavers (different color pavers of course). Anyone have experience with anything like this? I've only 11 or 12 paver jobs under my belt but my experience and education in that has mostly been directed on bases, drainage and final completion. I rarely do a paver job start to finish unless needed. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.
  2. chesie

chesie LawnSite Member

3. taproot

taproot LawnSite Member

Thanks for the link Chesie. Have you ever used this supplier? Ill keep them in mind for future jobs but the one im doing is more country style (in a mountain laurel, timberframe home type environment) Bright colors might not work on this one.
  4. mgmlandscaping

mgmlandscaping LawnSite Member

Taproot. If you are looking to get some experience and some exposure I would use paver art and also buy a circle kit. Paver art is not cheap, we just put in a 4' diamter circle of a canoe $900 (our cost). The customer loves it and shows it to everyone that will look, which gives us more exposure. We did our first circle kit about 5 years ago and to get it perfect took some time. You have to make sure that you layout it out exactly for it to look perfect when it is completely done. Also maybe try to tie in some walls or steps so you can get the feel for how everything ties in. Maybe a outside bbq or fire pit. Take some pictures and put them out on a flyer or a website for some exposure. If I can be of any further help just let me know.
  5. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

STONE SCAPES LawnSite Member

That countywidelandscaping.com is crazzzzzy
  7. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Amazzzingg work. OMG.
  8. Mike's All Season Service

Mike's All Season Service LawnSite Senior Member

Holy Sh1t They are good. They have some really cool Paveart stuff.
  9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

A sun is relatively easy I'd assume. I have not done on, but I have done some artistic paver jobs. Here's the jist of how we would do that:

A sun will contain 2-3 colors. Get a circle kit and ask for a strap of outer ring pavers of a darker color ( Area 2). This will outline the circle. Now you want the area of the outside of the circle to the tips (area 1) of the sun and add 30% for cuts. The sun flames should be 30% of the area of Area 1. Good luck on the first try. I would get an extra strap of pavers if I were you.

Pardon the horrendous art, but I was in a hurry and just had my hot cup of "Joe".

10. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

How the heck do you estimate a job like that dragon on countrywide's sit. I don't even think I could guess how long that would take. I'd just give the customer an hourly rate and go like hell.