1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Special Event-Wedding etc Lighting

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightLightingFX, Feb 13, 2008.

1. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I would like some feed back on "Special Event Lighting." I have an opportunity to work with a company that does a lot of special events weddings, balls/galas etc. They have alot of different props, trees, plants and etc. They have tried to do accent lighting but they are using your typical 120 volt flood lights and the good ol' light bulbs. They would like to have an expert do their accent lighting. Since I consider myself an expert how to use MR16 with lens and different lamps, this might be a good opportunity for me. I need to put togather a demo/display kit of indoor mr16 fixtures. Something that can be easily put up and taken down and cheap. The displays will only be up for a couple hours. Do any of you have some ideas on cheap low volt light fixtures for indoors. Are the cheap indoor 12 volt fixtures cheaper than the malibu stuff? I don't know much about indoor low voltage lighting. I thought I would start with you guys first before I start doing more research. Thanks
  2. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Seek out a man by the name of lighting guy; Tommy Marshall. I believe he is in Georgia, or perhaps Mississippi. In any case, he does a thriving business in lighting special events (weddings mostly). He is also a completely stand up guy. I had the opportunity to meet him in person a couple of times.

If you send me an email, I will provide you with his email address.

3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

funny you mention that. We just had a call the other day with someone wishing us to do a temp install for an outdoor wedding that will include moonlighting the sitting area and wrapping an oak with clear lights along with uplighting some other decor.

Will be meeting with them this coming month to preview the site even tho the wedding is not until september.
  4. NightLightingFX

NightLightingFX LawnSite Senior Member

I got a better response on this thread than I expected. James I knew you would have some insight. Thanks
  5. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Funny you should mention this idea. I have actually been thinking about offering this service. Since I set up temp demos anyway, what is the big deal about a special event? This would be an easy integration for my business.
  6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

it wouldnt be like a normal demo. You would have potentially hundreds of people walking around. You cant just leave wires laying around like you would like a demo so you may need multiple smaller transformers or even do a temp shallow bury. I thought about talking to wedding cordinators and retal places in our area to offer lighting for events. Often times special events like weddings lack high quality lighting.

Ashley talked to this lady and she is interested in having an oak tree which is the focal point and a special tree to the bride wrapped with clear lights 20-30 ft up. I am thinking right away probably LED lights. I need to see the location first and may see about other options.
  7. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, this could be a great revenue generator. I would like this much better than Christmas lights.
  8. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

From what I understand from my friend Tommy, they often have the opportunity to light the entire yard of a home, plus the inside of the tent for the wedding or party. Then when they return to take things down the host asks for a quote on a permanent installation.

In the right market, this could be a very effective and lucrative marketing technique.

Have a great day.
  9. Mayor_tx

Mayor_tx LawnSite Member
    from Austin

Hello everyone,

Here is how I have generated some business this way. I used to work for a catering company and I'm still good friends with the owners. This catering service takes care of everything during the event, and they now offer temp lighting through my company. I look at it like a demo with many more people seeing what we offer. I was in the catering service industry for a few years and I believe that contacting a reputable catering service and telling them about how you can help make the event more beautiful, would be your best bet to get your product and name out there.
  10. Tommy Marshall

Tommy Marshall LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

Hello All, First post at this site so please bare with me while I try to figure all this stuff out and how it works. I'm a little slow when it comes to computers. I'm using the Quick reply and will graduate the Advanced maybe the next time. First I want to see how this comes through.
    First, My name is Tommy Marshall, I am from South Carolina, am a Landscape Contractor converted over to specalizing in Lighting and Water Features, still doing a little Landscaping and Irr. from time to time. 17 Years in business.
    I am joining in response to a question posted on Event Lighting. James and another individual contacted me about the subject matter. I having participated in another forum decided to join here to share publically instead of privately so anyone still interested might possibly benefit from what I have discovered over the last years of event lighting. I also anticipate that I will learn something from a couple of you on this .(I hope).
    I will start with a few things and any who are interested we can continue, as there is lots to say on the matter.
    I have done many Weddings, have done 3 with the fourth coming in march Fundraiser Balls which is a Black Tie event ,tickets $150.00 each, and usually about 500 tickets sold at each event.... Great exposure... I have done small to large back yard parties from 75 people to 200 people, some of the yards I had lots to work with , others I had very little to work with.
    There are a couple of caterers that refer or use me when ever they can.... every party needs light of some sort. They just need to be informed of options other than the normal routine chandilear with a dimmer and some christmas lights strung around the tent.We are talking about tents from 60' to 160' sometimes multiple joined side tents.
    I also work Verry verry closely with the florist. I have actually been in a dark bathroom at the florist shop with an arrangement experimenting with light to see the effect. We were laughing, I told her this might be hars to explain if her husband happened to walk in ! Have to remember if it is hot, the florist will not bring their arraingments until hours before the party to keep them fresh, You don't get a chance to look at it the night before. We will do the yard, the path ways to the tent food tables, bars, if it needs light it is our job, except for the band on the stage, they bring their own...

Is there a "Spell Check" on this thing? I don't need any english buffs out there correcting me ! Maybe that is in the "GO Advanced" section !

Tommy marshall
    Light Creations
    The list go's on and on, I would love to open this up more in the next few threads