Special Pricing For End of the season

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hortboy, Dec 1, 2003.

1. hortboy

hortboy LawnSite Member

Guys,

I know this is going to ruffle a few feathers. I have seen all the posts and complaints about people low-balling job prices and making it difficult to compete as a professional. But I was kicking around calling back many of my early fall estimates I did for clean ups and offering them a reduced price. Also lowering my prices for the remaining 03 season on clean ups. Now before you blow up at me- let me explain my logic. 1 here in NY were done mowing, and have very few fall clean ups left on the books. 2 I am getting ready to lay off employees till spring. 3 I know there is still work to be gotten ou there. 4 who knows when or if the snow is going to come and really end the season. I figure I'll still be putting revenue in my pocket, I'll keep my employees on longer and it will reduce non-productive time. Also if I do a bang up job it could lead to more work in years to come. I think the one major key is to tell the customer it is a one time reduced price. So do you agree ? Disagree? and remember if you disagree tell me why I should sit back w/ less revenue coming in.

Thanks

2. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

I think I would have to disagree. I see your point with keeping your guys on longer, but I don't think your regular customers would be happy if they found out that you were giving these new customers a reduced rate. The other thing that could pose a problem is that they may still try to get the lower prices next year as well.

I just don't think it looks very good if you don't stand by your original price, these people may think they can walk all over you later on.

Just my 2 cents.:drinkup:

3. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

They can't walk all over you later if you don't let them walk over you later. Remember, its business, they can't make you work for them and you don't have to work for them if you don't want to. If I had nothing else to do and would be spending the time idle, I'd offer maybe a 10% discount and say it is a one time only and then next year, advertise a little heavier and avoid what your comtemplating now. Also, gives them a taste of what your made of and a good # of people may be testing the waters now for new maintenance companies. If you need the work, adjust for it when its a one time deal.

4. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Why not just call your customers and see if they need you to come back? They either want you or they don't, there should be no haggling with price. To me it makes no sense to do only one cleanup if there are still leaves on the ground, going back ensures that all leaves are removed before winter. I agree with grasshopper, there will always be that one customer that will want the reduced rate next season. Best of Luck

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

prices should be higher now because more leaves have fallen and if they still need a cleanup then it's gotten to be more than they want to do themselves.