Specialized lawn care business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Aug 20, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Well, my business didn't really kick off that well this year which is probably just as well, give me time to get better equipment, and have some fun too. I am slowly converting my equipment from residential to commercial grade. This year I was willing to take almost any lawn (from small to 4 acres, that 4 acre one being occasional during their vacations). I quoted a decent price, but somehow it came down alittle on each one. Maybe they saw a kid they could take advantage of (I'm 15). However, I never left the jobsite until it looked the best I could make it look. Perfect cut and awesome stripes, everything trimmed and blowed off, etc. The few customers I had were happy with the service, and seemed to think the prices were right on. I think I only put out 150 fliers in a selected area.
    So heres what I got:
    I have a brand new Stihl FS80 trimmer (awesome, love it), a 1989 Toro 32" cut rear engine rider (this will cut and stripe better than anything out there so don't diss it just yet! I got pics to prove it). A 1982 Toro 21" self propelled rear bagger that is like new but I never use it. Now I have a 1994 Scag STHM 61" 3 wheel outfront rider, but has been in a fire before i got it and needs about $1500 to 2000 put in it to be running (total rebuild). I am a great mechanic did i mention that, so I'm doing the work myself. I have been given a 32" eXmark belt drive walk behind that is in peices and needs assembled, needs an engine, blade spindles and front casters. I only have a few hundred dollars in the bank. I have a engine to use for it, caster wheels I might rig up to fit it, and will get the rest.
    Here's my plan for now:
    Get a part time job, save for a truck that I may get next year (have a trailer, 6x12 open) and keep the job, and this winter maybe get the eXmark wb going, sell the Toro rider and come out even or maybe ahead. Advertise plenty, next spring, and take on only clients on a contract who are willing to pay good for high end service. Stay small for now, hopefully limited to commercial props and a few residentials. Keep happy and make money till next winter ('03-04), start on the Scag for a winter project, hopefully have it done for '04 season, take on some more jobs and keep everyone happy with the work and prices, high prices but get what you pay for ya know what I mean. Use professional equipment, have a professional attitude and keep it small and speicalized to be able to have 150% satisfied customers. If they want a 1/4 acre wide open cut & bagged with a 21", I'll do it, for good money. Customer satisfaction is the key, I beleive. I will go beyond the call of duty to be the best in town. I will no longer need to advertise because I will have great customers who will advise other great people of my great work. Now I quit the part time job and keep making money making people happy making lawns look awesome. Keep it small until i get out of school and then open up alittle more but keep the quality control by staying solo or just one helper.

OK so I'm just a kid whining and daydreaming here....
    Somebody slap me!!! wake me up from this dream...
    no really does this all sound reasonable???
    Thanks,
    Eric
    ps I've been learning from LS.com for a long time and I don't feel stupid to post this although I know I'll be slammed by alot of you. I guess I was hoping for encouragment :rolleyes:

2. steve122

steve122 LawnSite Member

If you see a reply that starts to slam for any reason, just pass it by. Other opinions are appreciated, but whats important is what you believe yourself. I wonder how many great ideas died because someone elses opinion was considered. Go for it, just don't price yourself out of the market before you establish your reputation.

3. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

no slam from me . i think its great that your a go getter thats how some of the richest guys got that way from hard work :)

plus ya dont need $50 k worth of equipment to do a nice job . add a piece of equipment when ya can pay cash for it thats what ive done . go used till ya can pay for new ;)

4. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Dont see why anyone would slam you, you have more post on this site than most of us. :cool:

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The #1 way to learn is by experience. Sometimes you must get knocked down a few times but always learn from it. You will be one step closer to success next time.

6. jocko1104

jocko1104 LawnSite Member

You say that you are 15? Lot of work for someone that should mabey be thinking about their school work a little more.

How do you get commercial contracts? How can you sign a contract? How canyou have insuarance?

My 15 year old son goes to school at 7:30 and doesnt get home until 8:00 pm (Sports, student counsel, FRIENDS, etc...).

Not saying that you dont have the right Idea, just sounds a little odd. Do you go to school?

Not trying to slam, just wondering about your priorities.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Hurry and do something, BushHogBoy. Within 20 years noone will need you. The way computers and robotics are advancing, those with inside knowledge say that human labor will not be necessary in our society by the 2020s. Intelligent machines will do it all. Won't matter what brand of mower you run, the R2D2's and C3PO's will be cheaper, plus they'll wash the car, paint the house, clean the garage, etc.

8. Look at those profiles dude. There is a vast amount of teens on here.

BHB I guess you have some time and work to do over the winter.:D It doesn't fall out of trees, gotta work for it.

Don't worry I and twice your age and still dreaming.

GroundKprs I will be on that band wagon to if the time comes.

9. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

I say that it's all good!

At least you have a plan. When I was 15 my plans were all about chasin' girls. :D

Just keep an open mind and don't be afraid to modify your plans as things change around you. Who knows..in a few short years you may be looking out over your fleet of ZTRs and wistfully thing about that burnt up Scag you tinkered with.

Good luck in school this year! :)

10. leprechaun_50

leprechaun_50 LawnSite Member

Go for it!!! & Good luck.