1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Specialty Tools/Tricks

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, May 26, 2007.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious what kind of specialty tools you guys carry on your irrigation service trucks.
    As if now we really dont have anything other than a multimeter, screwdriver, pipe wrench, needle nose pliers, and channel locks.
  2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

pump,many different sizes of channel locks, a few different screw drivers,all the pup key's, fully stocked irritrol valves, super 600's, pgps's,rainbird 3500's,a few 12 in pgp's and 570's, a full arsenal of 570 nozzles from 8-15 ft >4X15 end strips and side strips, spade,tamp,rake few trenching shovels, tarps, everything to repair a standard backflow, spare 3/4 and 1 inch poly, copper, 1 inch pvc fittings,

my best trick that i used today was on one of those peanut valves that toro makes with the flow control was stuck open on zone three....i was BS..wanted to get home...any how i opened and closed the water service to the backflow and bang she closed right up...I call it stretching out the rubber....

when I'm by myself and i know there is service work to me made/adjusted i make every trip to the basement worth while..meaning if I'm checking my fixes on zone three i move the truck over to zone 4 repair my hunter spray head while three is running when the repair is over and cleaned up i go down stairs to controller turn 3 off and fire up 4 to check my work..

i make every trip on job worthwhile...plain n simple
  3. apart from the common hand tools, I have sockets with extensions, 521 valve locator, ground fault locator, station masters, Rain Bird wire identifier, multi meter, drills w/bits, hand pump, sawzalls, torch for copper and also removing broken PVC fitting in metal connections , copper ring crimping tool and now two Rain Master remotes and pigtails , hammer and chisels, hand saws and a curb key. Back at office, jackhammer, 14" concrete saw...
  4. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You get the sprinkler/geek award of the day..what we all should have!
  5. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

I have everything but this. Where does this come into play? We carry a sawzall for root jobs. Lenox makes a great folding hacksaw that uses sawzall blades. A giant screwdriver for cleaning under pipes and spreading pipe apart.
  6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Uh uh..battery operated sawsall...Makita...fine blades to cut thru the crap
    class 200.:weightlifter:
  7. Bigred350

Bigred350 LawnSite Senior Member

18v dewalt cordless sawzall,drill, radio.
    And I have 4 batteries so I never have to worry about being out of power.
  8. Remote Pigtails

The sawzall is the only tool we carry that requires 120v everything else is battery powered. Dewalt makes a folding cordless screwdriver which is our most used power tool. For the 2400s we carry a big roundish vice grip that will fit in the 6" valve box for screwing the top off.
  9. A sharp wood chisel for digging in hard ground around pipes in tight areas...priceless.
  10. Remote Pigtails

I don't carry this but my assistant carries a dremel. Since he gets all the tree root jobs that thing has come in very handy for him sometimes.