Specifications please?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by FrankenScagMachines, Jul 20, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm looking at buying into the red "click" on LS... a '99 TTHP 52/17hp Kaw with pistol grips. The dealer wants $2,000 for it. This seems like a good price, it's affordable and the machine would be a nice upgrade.

Can you guys get me the specs for that model year?

Also can you get the MSRP for:
    Park brake kit
    ECS kit
    Mulch kit
    Electric start kit

Just for curiosity on the prices, so MSRP will work and on the specs I would like to know a couple things before buying. If I got it, it will replace an older Scag 52" hydro fixed deck. The TTHP will get a Proslide that I have (and love!) as well. My Scag has 14hp Kaw single cylinder, I have a good idea as to how well a 17 twin would do, should be plenty for me. I don't like the 17 Kaw twin rope start because they're set so lean that they're hard starting and cold natured, and of course less powerful. Too bad the carb isn't adjustable... wonder if it's possible to modify the carb and richen it up for easier starts especially in cold weather and also for more power. Probably the same block as 19hp right?
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Eric

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Eric,

Thanks for the post. The current list price on that 52/17 is around $5400. The ECS control kit is around $280, parking brake $110 and the mulch kit is $155.

As far as converting it to electric start the parts can add up pretty quickly. On the Exmark side of things you'd need a starting solenoid, battery bracket, key switch and either modification to the wiring harness or replace the harness. On the Kawasaki side of things you'll need the starter, as well as a new flywheel and charging system.

The 17 twin is actually a very easy to start if the choke is adjusted properly. Generally it should start on the first pull just about every time. We started one a couple of years back that had not been ran in several months and was under 6" of snow and it started on the first or second pull. I can't remember which for sure. I wouldn't worry about how well it's going to start until the choke is adjusted. It's extremely sensitive but when it's right this is an extremely easy engine to start.

I'm not aware of any kits or parts to make that carburetor adjustable. I'm reasonably sure we are all stuck with non-adjustable carbs on everything that's out there. There are major differences between the 17hp and 19 hp engine blocks. I'm not sure what if anything will interchange.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks Terry. Well i did get the machine (sorry pic is aweful).
    WOW WHAT A BEAST! LOVE THIS THING! Thanks for making an awesome product!
    This one starts on first pull so I'm not worried about e/s, just hope it starts up within 3 pulls in the middle of winter in Central IN. (I will be using it to plow snow).
    I put a ProSlide on it (Thanks once again Johnny G.)

I've already made an OCDC for it which is just like the EZ Chute. I need to paint it first then I'll post pics later.

With the OCDC I don't want the mulch kit really, a few areas I can go wide open and don't want to be hindered with a mulch kit. I build my ocdc with a mulching lip like Dixie Chopper has so that it mulches good enough for the areas I need to mulch...

I do want ECS, may see if I can make it first though, most of the parts are already on the machine just needs moved around. You hate to read this don't you? LOL...... It'll probably be a while till i get around to that project.. not this week anyway.

GO EXMARK!!!! Nobody does it better!!!!!!!

jul21#30.jpg

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

FrankenScagMachines,

Congratulations! The machine looks to be in good shape. You'll want to pay close attention to the PTO belt adjustment. It's a real simple "no tools" adjustment that you'll need to do every now and then. The procedure is outline in the manual.

If the unit did not come with manuals you can download them from the "Technical Support" section of our webpage http://www.exmark.com/TechSupport.htm or send me an e-mail to terry.eckert@exmark.com and I'll have a set sent out to you. All we need is your mailing address, model and serial number.

You can also give us a call at 800-667-5296 if you've got any questions.

Thanks

Terry

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Eric
    Get the ECS KIT You are Not american Chopper Yet. Also Put the weight Kit From Exmark On It To, You will go Faster Up hills With the Pro On.
    John

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks for the info Terry, the PTO belt does seem like it slips a tad more than I would expect upon engagement, however it has not slipped once during use even during a test session bush-hogging a pasture (passed with flying colors! plenty of power and great clean cut and discharge!) but I did stall the blades once when I clogged the discharge with thick wet tall weeds from the pasture, then the engine bogged alot and I quickly disengaged the blades, backed out and got the grass out and re-engaged. However thats not close to normal conditions LOL and it didn't slip until it just had too much. I would say it doesn't need adjustment right now. It didn't have a manual so I'll cruise over to your website and check it out. Thats a cool feature the other brands don't have!

John, american chopper? LOL BTW I drove a DC 60" flatlander today... not a bad machine but the eXmark deck is CLEARLY superior! This is in the same field at same speed, eXmark deck still better! The DC needed more weight over back wheels and a baffled deck like the eXmark. But that is the old black deck, I heard the new Silver Striping deck is better, dunno. Not a bad machine but a TT and proslide would have gave a lot better ride in the field we were using it on...

This is Steve Krieger ( qualitylandscaping ) trying it out!

View attachment jul22#43.jpg

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Sorry thats not the pic of Steve...

jul22#43.jpg