Specs not followed...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, May 16, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

We had a section at the west end of our main stadium landscaped by an outside contractor. It's next to the main handicap access ramp and ticket booths. An irrigation system (two valves; 1 turf area, 1 planter) was installed to irrigate and a Hunter WVC was installed due to lack of wire accesibility in this isolated area. However, the contractor didn't follow the specs and Irritrol Century Plus valves were installed with the after-market low-voltage solenoids. We've discontinued using this valve/solenoid setup due to numerous problems with the solenoids sticking (both open/closed) and have had good success using the Hunter ICV valves and their low-voltage solenoids. I went out yesterday to program the WVC and took these pictures. I also informed the boss of the valve/solenoid situation and he was to inform the contractor to remove them and put the ICVs in.

MK Bowl West End Landscaping IV-01.jpg

MK Bowl West End Landscaping IV-02.jpg

MK Bowl West End Landscaping IV-03.jpg

MK Bowl West End Landscaping IV-04.jpg

MK Bowl West End Landscaping IV-05.jpg

2. PurpHaze

Was informed this morning by the boss that the turf valve hung up last night for over 12 hours. He manually shut it down this morning. :)

MK Bowl West End System Damage IV-01.jpg

MK Bowl West End System Damage IV-02.jpg

MK Bowl West End System Damage IV-03.jpg

MK Bowl West End System Damage IV-04.jpg

3. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

Does the same problem occur with the RB latching solenoid?

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

That is one lousy sod installation I'll tell you that, and what is that flower bed about, just annual flowers that will need to be replaced two or three times a year? No base plantings that will look good all year to go with those flowers huh?
    Does not even look like they mulched the bed

5. Remote Pigtails

Remote Pigtails LawnSite Senior Member

The palm trees in the background look nice though.

6. PurpHaze

Don't know... never used them. Irritrol does not make a contained low voltage solenoid for the Century Plus and relies on the multi-piece after-market one. We used the RB TBOS with them but made the complete change to the Hunter system because of various problems. Hunter's is self-contained and has been extremely reliable so far.

7. PurpHaze

It's like walking on a slip-n-slide now. :)

I'll give you our shop number if you'd like to speak with my boss. He handles contractors. :laugh:

None.

8. PurpHaze

They're surrounded by artificial turf. I posted several pics in the Public/Private Grounds forum. :)

9. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well, he did not handle this one very well now did he? I should not need to call him, anyone can see that that sod install is crappy, seams showing, sod all the way up to the base of those new trees (that also have huge poles driven through their root balls and are improperly staked) gaps all over and the far corner looks very thin. That flower bed will need water three times a day in summer without mulch covering the soil.
    Tell your boss I am available for evaluation, consultation about what he needs to expect from the landscape contractors he hires. However, I am not available to work all the way down there, unless he's paying room and board and has 10 or 20 of those jobs to keep me busy for a few weeks.

10. PurpHaze

No one listens to me. What makes you think they'll listen to you? :laugh:

I'm in DGAS (don't give a shat) mode right now and just going through the motions. My attitude at work has been very good because I know I'll be putting in my retirement papers in July. :)