Speed and Power- need more!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mopar4u, May 12, 2006.

1. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

I have a 18 hp briggs twin mounted in my old John Deere 111 rider chasis. I have a 6" pulley on the engine (stock was 3") and a 5" pulley on the tranny (stock was 7"). There is no more room to change the engine pulley, plenty of room to change the tranny pulley. It goes pretty good, but I want to be able to pull wheelies. Don't ask why, just like to entertain the neighbors:rolleyes: . Is there anything else I can do? Motor is all stock, tires are all stock, stock 5 speed peerless transmissioin.

2. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

Who doesn't want to pull wheelies? you want to pull wheelies, or ride them? Let's see if I can get it right...if you increase the size of the tranny pully you'll have more turning power to the wheels, less speed...decrease the size of the tranny pully to get the speed up, and move center of weight back over or behind the rear axle, and mount a set of skateboard wheels back there, ride on -but how do you steer? you need some split brakes on each wheel.

3. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Pull or ride wheelies, doesn't matter :weightlifter: . Steering is optional while in the air :dizzy: . Seems like I need to find some smaller wheels to try, I don't want to loose too much speed either. Moving the seat back and making new mounting holes would be a free mod. Any other ideas?

4. oldgreygox33

oldgreygox33 LawnSite Member

Larger engine pulley, and smaller tranny pulley will increas your top end speed, but will decrese your tourgue.

5. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I think a bit of a weight of some kind on the back end of the tractor behind the wheels would be a good way, but I would recommend some kind of wheelie bar to keep you from finding yourself on the seat of the tractor staring skyward from the tractor landing on its hind end.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with Lawn Masters, Build you a frame and bolt it to the back of the unit. Take three concrete blocks with the center holes filled with sacrete and strap them on the frame and mount casters to the bottom of the frame, That should get the front wheels up. ;)

7. mopar4u

mopar4u LawnSite Member

Well, I got the right combo for the pullies. Unfortunately I didn't have any wheelie bars. :dancing: All I needed to do besides getting the right pulley combo is move the seat as far back as it would go, and wheelie's galore :cool2: . Problem was that I wasn't expecting it to work and I kind of got caught off guard. Wish I would have had a camcorder running, you would laugh your ass off at what happened. No injuries and minimal damage to the mower. Cracked hood, one bent front spindle and broken slip gears in the tranny. Hood is fixed with fiberglass patch, two used spindles from ebay $12, welded tranny so now it has posie. I'm back in business :clapping: . I need to figure out wheelie bars somehow.