speed and pressure

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Mar 17, 2008.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

On average how fast are you guys going with ride ons spraying. I'm talking straight stretches. I know that tight areas and edges are a little slower.

What psi are you guys running when spraying you post.

I'm running a z-spray.
  2. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

5 mph , 40 PSI, 2800 RPM. Same as you right?
  3. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

That is the way my rig came but I have had to slow down some due to the size of my accounts. I am now running 3.5 mph and 25-30 psi. I was just curious what everyone was doing. About half my accounts I could run fast, but the other half I need to run a little slower because of size, trees, beds, etc. So I decided to just slow all the way around.
  4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Permagreen Ultra 3.8 mph. (as fast as I can.)
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Permagreen Magnum. 5 mph all the time. No clue what pressure, no gague, lol. 3450 rpm, or as close as I can get it to that all the time.
  6. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Your pressure will affect your rate slightly....but not near as much as speed and tip selection.

It is not good to try and adjust your rate by pressure only (which really can't be done anway).

Select your rate with speed and tips....then fine tune with pressure!
  7. yardprospraying

yardprospraying LawnSite Member

Just curious, what is the spray width of the pg mag? Can you spray with it if the wind is blowing 12 mph+. We very seldom have days where the wind doesn't blow around here. We have 2 prolawn shielded sprayers on grasshoppers. They work great, but it would be nice to have something a little smaller for the "mid-sized" yards.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I think it is around 11 ft. if I remember correctly. I run my tips slighly on a slight angle to get a little more "swath" or overlap. So I may be just a little wider then that but not much!

If the wind is above 5-6 mph I shut down. Even if I am using my 3-pt sprayer using AI tips. I just don't ever chance it! If I had a 1000 accounts I probably couldn't do that, but I don't so I can make that decision!

I am sure I could spray up to 10 mph or so...but I don't chance it. Starting my fourth year in the app business and have not had an off target kill yet and don't want any!

PG is an awesome unit! All the rideon units are for that matter!

What is the wind speed that everyone stops at on here?
  9. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Usually Hurricane force, 72+ MPH is my stopping point! It makes the fert feel like hail when it blows back at ya! LOL JK, usually nothing over 10 MPH though i know with the air induction tips, they can even work at abit higher wind speeds. I beleive the Tee-Jet site had a drift demo somewhere that showed the drift with the air induction (venturi) system, and had hardly any drift even above 10+ mph.