Speed Base

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ROMAC, Feb 2, 2001.

1. ROMAC

ROMAC LawnSite Member

Paul do you are does anyone else know who makes the speed base or who carries it. thanks

2. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We bought ours a couple of years ago so I'll check Monday on who is carring it now. Cost then was $2500 plus you need a laser to set your pin height.

3. ROMAC

ROMAC LawnSite Member

Thanks Paul

4. Robben Salyers

Robben Salyers LawnSite Member

Yes, I too would like more info on this Speed Base. Please add me to the list.

Thanks.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Anyone have a web address??

6. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Sorry to say the Speed Base manufacture is not making them any more, seems there was no demand for them,(or poor marketing of them) don't think it would be too hard for someone to copy the design and make one up but untill then sorry guys.

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

That's too bad. Neat tool!

8. Guido

Will someone please explain to me what this thing was and how it was used??

Thanks in Advance!

9. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Guido, it was a screeding tool for installing base gravel for retaining walls here it is in action.
    [​IMG]

With the rails set level it would screed out the base gravel and have room to run your compactor between it, you ended up with a level base so you don't have to keep picking up the block and adjusting them to level them.

[Edited by paul on 02-09-2001 at 10:12 PM]

10. Guido

Okay, now unless I'm missing a big player in this method, what costed so much $$$$?? From what it looks like to me anyway.......

It looks like I could use flexible steel concrete sheet metal forms as the rails with regular old rebar and make up a piece of steel that would ride along them to screed the base or sand, etc. Is there a fancy way on there to raise or lower the rails if need be, or do you just pound the stakes down as you go? I'm sure it is a much better tool than I give it credit to be, but sometimes the simplest design is the best! I see how it could save some huge amounts of time.

Heres one of my speedbase's that I made! ;) Don't laugh, okay! This one was the state of the art version with level attatchment because we had to pitch the sidewalk away from the building, and on top of that I could only "ride" one curb because the borderstone against the building went with the contour of the OLD building and not any particular level with the sidewalk or road we were building.

I know it doesn't compare to your gadget, or even meet the same criteria for its use, but its an idea that if put with the concrete forms I was talking about earlier could work together.

Especially if no one else is selling anything like this anymore.

Enjoy the pic! ;)

[​IMG]