1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Speed Feed adaptor for Stihl FS 90R

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ertb, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ertb

ertb LawnSite Member

I just purchased a new Stihl FS 90 R today and absolutely love the 4 mix compared to my old Deere trimmer. But I want to put a Speed Feed head on it and need to know what adapter I need. I will be going with the 450 series head. A part # or website would be great so I could purchase it off the internet.
  2. MajesticUSA

MajesticUSA LawnSite Member

This site sells the adapter but it says under the speed-feed 450 Part No: 28820-07430 "no longer available" for stihl but right under that it says universal adapter and has a price. If you call them I'm sure they can tell you which universal adapter will work with the FS90R. Otherwise there has to be someone out there who has the exact adapter for it... Good luck

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

The Oregon speed feed is the same head as the shindy and it comes with the adapter Expressmowerparts has the heads about $25
  4. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

Doesn't that trimmer come with Stihl's version of the speed feed head?
  5. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Could you post the link for that head?

All I could find is the parts for the Speed Feed.

Also, is this the small or the larger Speed Feed head?

Never mind I found it. Good to know, we order from them already, and that's a good price for a great head.
  6. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I bought stihl's version of the speed feed head a few months ago. I haven't put it on the trimmer yet (its going on for next season), but I think it is pretty easy to use and pretty quick to reload the head. I just am tired of having to take the head "apart" to reload the string. After switching to my gator line I didn't have to reload the head as often, but it is still a pain when I have to reload the head.
  7. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We use nothing but the Speed Feed, they work great.

I would hate to go back to taking trimmer heads apart to reload.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I bought 2 Sten rapid feed heads. I was told that Sten makes the speed feed heads for Shindawa or one of the companies. They are a direct fit on Echo units. It takes less then a minute to cut a piece of line, load it and fire it back up. I love them. :)
  9. WH401

WH401 LawnSite Senior Member

Go here: http://www.lawnmowerpros.com/Shindaiwa/Shindaiwa-Trimmer-Heads.asp

In that list for different models, (depending on whether you want the 375 or the 450), you'll want to buy the "Universal" model. For the Universal 375 it's #78890-19000, for the Universal 450 it's #78890-21000. Either of those models come with multiple male and female adapters for various trimmer brands. Most likely you'll have to change out the female adapter on the Speed Feed head to one of the extra one's in the package, or at least that's what I had to do with my 90.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I tested a shindawa with a speed head for one month. The first problem I ran into is if the cord is not perfectly cut off you have trouble threading it through. The second problem was the unit got loaded with debris and stopped feeding out. Ever try to get it apart out in the field without tools?
    And you can't peek in to see how much cord is left. No advantage over the regular bump head except it wears better if you ride the ground when trimming.