Speed Feed type head for trimmer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by sticklelm, Feb 21, 2013.

1. sticklelm

sticklelm LawnSite Senior Member

I have a stihl fs 90r trimmer and i hate the head on it. its hard for it to unwind when you bump it. plus i hate taking the thing apart when i need to reload the string. I purchased the speed feed universal head thinking that it would work and go on just fine. but after numerous hours and taking it to my mechanic...i've found that its not made for my trimmer.

What do you guys like to use in regards to trimmers and heads? should i ditch my stihl trimmer and go with a redmax or echo? Thoughts?

2. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

There should be some adapters with the speed feed head. I believe the one for Stihl is green. I have the same head on my Stihl's and really like them. You disassemble the speed feed head, remove the original threaded adapter and insert the green one, then reassemble the head and install on your Stihl. That's it. Doesn't take but a few minutes.

3. sticklelm

do you have the universal head?

4. hjl2

hjl2 LawnSite Member

Hi
    I have a speed feed head and really like it.
    Don't have a stihl so can't help sorry.
    hjl2

5. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

There is a totally new revision of the smaller "375" head due out some time soon, will increase line capacity to 20' over the current 10' and also be able to be fit up to curved shaft trimmers now. Parts are not interchangeable between old and new.

6. hjl2

hjl2 LawnSite Member

Wow. Did not know that. Will look forward to that.
    Cheers
    hjl2

7. rreyn1812

rreyn1812 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes..................

8. sticklelm

Ok. Will give it another shot...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BeachysLawn

BeachysLawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

rreyn is exactly right. I bought a speed feed for my Stihl last year and had a hell of time getting it put on right but it does fit. And you'll love the speed feed. I buy a spool of line and immediately cut it up into a bunch of three arm length pieces and then coil each piece up and tape with just a little bit of electrical tape. Coil slips right into your pocket and is there whenever you need more string. Takes about 30 seconds and your trimming again and you just grab another coil when you get back to the truck.

10. lawnkingforever

lawnkingforever LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes. My dealer said they are coming out with a new version of the speedfeed. He said he doubts it will be in his spring order. The durability should be a be a bit better. I love the speedhead as it loads so easily and quickly. The problem is that they wear out quickly. I always keep a spare in the truck during the season.
    Posted via Mobile Device