Speed of Dingo (or similar) moving dirt?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by SoloSulkySurfer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I have a customer that needs an inground pool filled in and wants me to give them an estimate. I first need to decide if its a job that I can handle. The pool would take aprox. 30yds of fill which would have to be transported using a machine less than 47" wide carrying dirt for 80ft from driveway to pool. Using a backhoe is out of the question due to the placement of a garage. How much dirt could a Dingo move in an hour if I rented the largest one with the largest bucket? Trying to figure out how many man hours something like this would take. Thanks for the help.

2. SoloSulkySurfer

Any idea what it would cost to rent one for the day?

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Cant help you on your local cost but your probably looking at 200-250 a day. The light material bucket is pretty wide so you may want to consider the regular bucket. You can load the LM bucket with fill if it is level ground. If you are going downhill it will be too much. Just to give you an idea I moved 10 yards of topsoil monday with a LM bucket in about 1.5 hours going 20-50 feet each time.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

dont fill the pool in without first tearing apart the concrete. You can't just put dirt in a concrete basin and expect great things because water will get in there and cause problems

also unless it is an extremely small pool then you might want to recount your dirt total...a triaxle holds roughly 23 yards...so 30 yards would be a triaxle and 2 F350 loads of dirt which isn't a whole lot

5. SoloSulkySurfer

Wow. Seems pretty good. Was that really hustling or is that the average speed of a job like that? No hills on the job just alot of dirt to be moved and a little opening to go through. Do you think I could do 30yds in a day pretty easily?

6. skidster32

skidster32 LawnSite Member

i would really try and consider finding a way to get a larger wheel based or ctl machine in the yard, because if ur gonna use a dingo ur gonna be at it for a while. and when u back fill a swimming pool u have to make sure that its compacted well or your gonna have huge amounts of settling.

7. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

well, I bought a SK650 a couple of months ago, and I am amazed at how much it will move. 2 weeks ago I hauled 70 yards of sand and 20 yards of drainrock about 150 feet down a steep hill. It took about 7 hours start to finish. I have a 52 inch bucket.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

1. Lots of Dingo machines are 42" wide so can get in there no problem... but it will take awhile. If you are used to a stand-behind toro mower though, you might pick it up quick?

2. Can you take down a section of fence to back trucks in? It may be easier to repair a patch of lawn due to a few truck ruts than 200 trips back and forth on a dingo.

3. Ditto on make sure you bust up the walls and bottom. I don't know if you can get a dingo with a breaker on it? Or just rent a jackhammer? This is a good job for a mini ex to break up the concrete and lay it over into the pool, mix it in with the fill dirt as you go... and then dress up the top soil nice with a loader once the hole has been filled and compacted.

4. How many gallons is that pool? A small in-ground pool may be 20 - 30,000 gallons or more. 30,000 gallons is 150 cu yards. 30 yards would fill a 6000 gallon pool... which is like a wading pool. Even my above ground pool would take 75 yards to fill.

The more I think on it, if there is any way to get a bigger machine or two back there, as well as dump out the roughly 8 triaxle loads (based on 18 yards each) of fill material right into the edge of the pool... you will really save yourself a lot of grief. Don't bring a knife to a gun fight. Get a machine that can bust up the concrete, compact the fill, and grade out the area once it is filled in...

Just the fill dirt might cost around 1500 bucks. I would be thinking in the couple-or-three-grand-plus range on this. Maybe 4000 including grading and raking everything when done and sowing grass seed and shaking straw on everything, including all the areas of lawn torn up by the operation. Might take 1 to 1.5 days. Try to clear 1500-2000 after buying dirt, renting equipment, buying seed and straw, driving back and forth to the job three or four times, eating lunch, etc...

9. hardscaper

hardscaper LawnSite Member
    from us

10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

You might also consider using a shooter truck.