1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Speed or Quality

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tamers, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

I have been kicking around the idea of a new Walker or John Deere. Probably around the 18 hrs power area. There are lots of mowers available on the market as we all know. Im looking for the most bang for my buck so which unit would be the best choice? My market is high end residential.
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you limit your productivity by getting a mower with such a small engine? No matter which mower you buy you should get the biggest engine you can. I know that they cost more but you will be glad you did get a big engine long after the mower is paid off.
  3. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

Richard is right! The more power you have the better. (Its better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.) As far as the speed vs. quality issue goes with only 18 hp, the speed wont be there if there is a lot of growth.
    I have not heard the John Deere having any complaints with cut quality or with the Walker. My Walk-behind will mow at 8 mph. But I haven’t had the opportunity to do that very many times because of rough ground. If I were in your shoes, and narrowed it down to JD and Walker, I would demo each one on the same lawns and see which one I preferred.
  4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Walkers are not know for speed, but for maneuverability and the "manicured" look when bagging. If you are wide open and not bagging, the Walker might not bee the best choice.
  5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

If you want speed and bang for your buck then you may want to look at a Hustler super Z. 15 mph top speed. Also Ferris givies you a lot for your money. Independent suspension for a smooth ride and 10-12 mph depending on model. John Deere builds good mowers but if you want speed 10 mph might not be enough. Hope that helps.
  6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

When looking for a ZTR in the fall of 2003, I was looking for the ZTR with the most "bang for the buck" and ended up buying a Gravely 260Z. You may want to consider Gravely.