Speed Racing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by redoak77, Sep 24, 2004.

1. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious what speed you guys mow at? I have a tthp w/ a velky 2x and i can run it in about 4th while maitaining control and not sacrifcing quality
    Just curious to what u guys run

2. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

3rd most of the time

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

really? do you mean the hydro lever is set at about the "4"
    position???

GEO :confused:

4. jaybird

jaybird LawnSite Senior Member

7 miles per hour on fairly good ground john-deere tractor with finish mower

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on the conditions. At this time of year it's full speed ahead on my Dixie and that would be about 12 mph.

6. Bray

Bray LawnSite Member

The fastest I mow on my walkbehind is in third gear. Anything faster it bounces to much and deosn't cut the bermuda very well.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Each yard is different. Most small lots I use the 36" and walk at about 3 MPH---most of the 48" units can be run at full speed(6.2) If the run is long enough. I find that if I use a 48" with the mulch kit and it is on a lot that is sprayed by a TG/CL or Scotts type guy than I have to slow down a bit or I get clumps. On the Z I will run as fast as the ground will allow and on some lots that will be full speed for a few hours. No mulch kit on the Z and never had to slow down because of the grass--only the bumps. On the 48" units that do not have mulch kits I never have to slow down for grass-just size of lot or bumps. The 36 has a mulch kit but I only use the velke on one run. a strip about 1/2 mile long, 40" wide, that I have to run out and back and I run full speed most of the year. It cuts great with fresh blades

8. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

geogunn, yes my hydro lever in 4th position

9. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

I usally have everything wide open. my scag walk behind is always wide open unless i have to walk behind it and my ferris is3000 can mow at full throttle anywhere with the suspention.
    i have some very bumpy lawns and i'm usally pritty good with keeping control. I do notice a decline in my scags' cut quality if the blades aren't sharp if i'm cranking