speed-up on Walker Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CHINES60, Dec 2, 2002.

1. CHINES60

CHINES60 LawnSite Member
    from 38017

I need more info. on speed-up pullies for Walker mowers and if available some pictures of procedure of installion. Also what speed increases with smaller pullies and larger.

2. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Email CaptDevo for all the details.

The Walker speed up kit is very easy to instal. Remove set screws on the old pulley, if you don't have a pulley puller you will probably destroy the old pulley in the removal process. I did any way. And install the new one and tighten set screws. Pretty much all I did to change mine.
    I believe the kit you would get from the Walker dealer adds about 1.5 MPH to the speed and costs $25. My only regret was not doing it sooner.

I know if you do a search you will find info on pulley changes that adds a lot more speed than the dealer kit. Seems like so much speed was added that some operators would only try it once. :D
  3. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Im pretty sure that Walker only has one speedup kit. Great investment...doesn't really change the handling of the machine all that much...still just as easy to control. Big difference out in the field though. Highly reccommended. Very easy to install. Make sure you use Loc-tite on the set screws on the pulley though...we didn't and they backed off and the pulley almost fell off but we noticed in time luckily!
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A pretty simple procedure, took me about 20 minutes. I use to mow at full speed before I added the speed up pulley. Now I need to back off a little bit. It takes a little getting use to. I still can't mow full speed in the spring, but in the summer I can most of the time.

5. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

yup....simple pulley/spring (included) change and you're off!!! (diesels require belt)

$20+ out the door!!!!

Speed-Up Kit
    Increases maximum ground speed from 5 MPH to 6.5 MPH by changing transmission drive gear ratio. Note: Not recommended for beginning operators due to increased sensitivity of steering levers.
    P/N 7246 for MD
    P/N 8246 for MT