1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Speeding gly up

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Aug 27, 2013.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

I'm sorry if this has been talked about in the past.

Over the past few days of spraying I've noticed a nice crop of weeds in some of our mowing client's beds. I've had a talk with the mowing crew but obviously they have been slacking on spot spraying beds.

My gly mix is normally 2 oz per gallon and some 80/20 added. Is there something I could spike it with to speed up the kill? Some speedzone?

Hoping to avoid the calls.
  2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

Scythe or Sureguard. Scythe is really acrid. It has a very noxious smell and if it drifts into your eyes, wow. I would not use lawn type broadleaf herbicides in shrub beds. Not unless you have 2,4-D and Dicamba resistant plants.
  3. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

are you using a generic cheap product? I use quick pro WDG. I get curling next day for me its worth the little extra I'm paying so I don't have to screen to slow kill calls.
  4. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

i started to use sureguard this yr and it works great when added too gly...
  5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

First mix it a little hotter and spike it with surfactant and an ounce per gallon of brush killer concentrate. I use Ortho brush killer. This isn't my daily mix but for initial clean ups and problem areas. Scythe is a great spiker too but pricey. I use it for super rush jobs as it will burn down within hours.
  6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Propane tourch
  7. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

I am a Quick Pro user myself. It cost a little more but it is worth it knowing that you can arrive tomorrow at the property and the weeds will be wilted if not totally brown. No need for added spreaders etc. plus is is a granule mix so nice and clean mixing as well.
  8. Patriot Services

Maybe on stones. Bad idea for dry wood mulches.
  9. Patriot Services

I use the .41% generic from TSC mixed at 5% per gallon. Its still money from the Roundup name.
  10. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with the addition of Scythe and that you need to be careful handling it. Scythe is great for burn down don't get carried away pouring it or the gly won't have time to move through the plant. I add 1/2 oz of 2,4-D (animie) per gallon and often pendimethalin. That will mask the smell of the Scythe ha ha. Most of my applications are around structures, fences, and infield dirt on baseball fields though.

Forgot to include that spreader sticker goes in the mix too.