Speeding up a mower by changing engine shaft pulley size?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CharlieBingo, Jul 20, 2005.

1. CharlieBingo

CharlieBingo LawnSite Senior Member

A buddy of mine says a mower's ground speed can be sped up by using a smaller engine shaft pulley. Is this true seems pretty simple?
  2. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

bigger on the crankshaft....if its a belt driven, yes it will...if its a hydro, i would assume....
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You will find your controls more then touchy.

4. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

The driver must alway but bigger than the driven pull. Just wondering what type of mower do you plan on doing this to?????????? Depend on how much you want to speedy up it might some more horsepower to move your mower
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

HUH??? ;)

What is it we are saying?
  6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Runner, I wish everyone would speak American like the rest of us.
  7. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

sorry if no one understand engineer. I'll try to it simply. Driver pulley aka the pulley on the engine. the driven pulley aka the pully on the cutting deck or transmission.
  8. Lake Claire Lawn Ranger

Lake Claire Lawn Ranger LawnSite Member

The engine shaft pulley would have to bigger rather than smaller to do this but it will increase the load on your engine. IE - make it work harder to perform the same work!

430 boy - I'm guessing English is not your primary language or you just don't have time to proofread.
  9. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

What I don't understand is the meaning of your sig. I would like to think that it's some kind of joke right?
  10. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

If you've a two pulley takeoff on the crank, and can split them, go bigger on the deck PTO pulley.

Otherwise, see if you can change pulley's on the deck. I'm betting Hydro's have an RPM issue, and certainly you'll load the engine down more .

And guys, get out more, maybe this will help:

Dewie, Chetum, and Howw,
    Attorney At Law