Speedway Spreader

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by lawnstriper23, May 22, 2006.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody have experience with the Speedway Series broadcast spreaders? I am looking at model number 40552. I don't want to spend tons of money since I am using it approx 5 times a year, but want something half way decent. Thanks............

2. lawnstriper23

3. lawnstriper23

4. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

Your post caught my eye, because I've been thinking of replacing my Scotts SpeedyGreen 2000 with something of better quality and bigger capacity. What was confusing to me, however, is that there is a company called Speedway Sales that sells fertilizer spreaders, but not this particular one. So I called the 800 number for Homier and asked about it. This Speedway Series 40552 is something made for Homier in China. I doubt if you'll find many, if any, who have any experience with it, and I suspect that if you buy it and it breaks, getting parts a few years from now might be a problem. You might also have a problem getting instructions about how to calibrate it, and it's almost certain that no bag of fertilizer you ever buy will have this spreader's settings specified. It might be an excellent machine, but I think the chances are you will regret getting it.

Maybe someone else will join in now with a suggestion of something else for us to consider.

5. lawnstriper23

Thanks Larry, I just bought a Scott's Edgeguard speader a month ago, but still find it difficult to push the machine because of the plastic wheels. I am looking for something that has regular wheels so I can inflate or deflate the tires depending on the length of grass and load I am spreading. That was the sole purpose of the Speedway Series spreader, but you did bring up excellent reasons why not to purchase it. I basically have a budget of $100 for a speader so I know choices are slim. I will keep looking though.........

6. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

I had not been aware of the Scotts Edgeguard, but I looked at it on the web, and it seems to be better than what I have. Thanks for mentioning it. That guard which prevents fertilizer from going on your neighbor's grass or a paved surface seems like a pretty good idea. I wonder if other spreader manufacturers have incorporated it. I looked but could not determine how many pounds the Edgeguard holds. Scotts fertilizer for 15,000 sq ft is all I saw.

I'm also annoyed with the plastic wheels on the Scotts products, but like you said, a homeowner will only be using a spreader a few times a year, so it's hard to justify spending several hundred bucks for a machine to broadcast fertilizer. Well, maybe someone else will come up with a good suggestion for an alternate.