SpeedZone Broadleaf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by grassmasterswilson, Mar 17, 2008.

1. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

First I am not and idiot, I am certified and I have been in the business for years.

I tried some SpeedZone Broadleaf the other day. It has been almost 3 days. The dealer said it worked faster than speedzone southern in like 24-48 hours. I can't see much kill even on white clover.....It may have started wilting some but not like I was told it would. I was spraying on fescue.

I used 1.25 oz per 1000 sq ft at a rate of 1/3 gallon per 1000 sq ft of solution. The dealer told me I could increase to 1.5 oz per 1000.

Have any of you used this or have any suggestions. It didn't rain.

2. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

I used that last year and it performed a great cool season kill for me.but i dont use it anymore because i feel its way too high so now i wait til temps rise and use 2,4-d amine in my 2nd app.Ester is very HOT and you need to only use it in cool temps(you probly know that)If its starting to wilt id say you got it,id have to see it to be sure.I cant help with the mix rate becuz i forget how much i used but speedzone is a great product.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Wilson: Know your area well, Got many friends in Raleigh and Cary. I'm just over the mountain from you in Kingsport.
    I've got a good idea that the drought that y'all more than us has something to do with the uptake of it. Those blade are probably so condense in fiber that taking anything into the roots may be the problem. Broadleaf are like arteries for us but insead they take in heat, sunlight, carbon dioxide, poision and the like to their roots where they are mixed with water. If enough water isn't present then the herbicide just stays in the plant. It may react but will probably take a long time. Why don't you water a patch and see.
    Other than that, I have no idea. You could put Neuse River Water on it and it and everything else would die instantly. Really, the watershed IS improving. The drought has caused the Neuse to clear up a little because of little run-off.

Roy

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, dont use it that low, use the 1.5 oz rate, that is all i use and it will kill it much faster, but this time of year with cold nights it still might take a week, but in warmer weather witht he 1.5 rate look out.

5. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

A big part of the problem is spray coverage. Speedzone is fast acting because of the carfentrazone burning down the weeds on contact. Most contact herbicides require complete coverage of the leaf surface. That 3 day delay is because the 2,4-D, MCPP and dicamba take that long to translocate, then work. If you get a droplet of those three on a weed, the weed is gone in 14 days. However, a contact like carfentrazone is wasted if only one droplet hits a weed. I spray lawns with XR Teejet tips at 25-40 PSI and up to 2 gallons per M. Never have a problem with Speedzone being slow. I see tough weeds like prostrate spurge and hawksbeard drying up in 2 days. I am using only 1 oz/M of Speedzone Southern because my usual lawns are hybrid bermuda, centipede or st augustine.

6. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

i hate when stuff like this happens.

I suggest take a careful look at the label for carfentrazone by itself, that is "Quicksilver" . It does not list white clover as one of the weeds controlled. But then it adds white clover to the list WHEN it is COMBINED with a three way product. So it appears to me like your salesman was completely wrong. The carfentrasone doesn't affect clover--the three way is doing all the work. Speed of action will be thae same as with three way.

7. greendoctor

How was this 40 oz of spray applied to 1 M? That is equal to 10 gallons per acre. Which is commonly done in ag with low volume flat fan tips. If this is done with a floodjet type tip at high speed, I can imagine only one or two drops of spray solution hitting the weed. Coverage is everything. I once did a lawn that had creeping indigo and oxallis with Speedzone. I used a 11008 tip at 15 PSI and 0.5gallons/M. The results were the worst I have seen from Speedzone. Instead of the entire weed drying up the next day, I only saw a few spots on the leaves. Sure, the weeds died in 14 days, but I sell results. If I do the same application through a 11005 at 40 PSI and 1 gallon/M I see things going down the next day. If I am going to spend extra for Speedzone instead of regular Three-way, you had better believe I will apply it in such a way to get the best results from it

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

When pricing Speedzone....also compare to doing your own tank mix with a Three Way of some kind and adding Quick Silver.

Technially you are using the same AI's but you are just mixing it yourself! This is what I do and save a lot of money!

I spray Three Way and Quick Silver on almost every lawn.

Speeds up the kill big time and gets some harder to control broadleaves!

I go with 55oz/ac Three Way and 1 oz Quick Silver in my area and it is "KILLER".

I crack myself up! :laugh:

9. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

In my experience, speedzone will toast clover even in spring, a time when clover is difficult to control. I usually spray 1.3 oz/1000 out of the pg @ .25 gal/1000 or the tank @1.5 gal/1000. I love the stuff. I would say it takes about 2-3 days for noticeable damage to white clover. I'm not sure what's going on with his application ie. temp., drought? maybe in his area he needs to bump up the rate? I'm in N. Illinois, alot different than NC. We still have 40% snow cover, and some of our large piles will be around for a few more weeks.

10. greendoctor

In my days working for a "landscaper" I found ways to save money and get spectacular results when applying to lawns. Back then, I used 1 lb 2,4-D ester and 1/4 lb Banvel per acre. This mix did a much better job than the amine based Three-ways everyone else used, not to mention it was half the cost. Too bad there was no Quicksilver in the early 90's when I was doing this. For many of the weeds that are found in lawns, 2,-4-D or Banvel will kill them. The MCPP is an unnecessary component. I got a rather impressive kill using nothing more than 1.5 lb ester and 1 oz Quicksilver, poor man's Speedzone. For the more resistant weeds, I am better off, spraying metsulfuron. I find the hard to kill weeds in centipede and st augustine because those grasses cannot take much Three-way. 1/2 oz acre metsulfuron + 1 oz Quicksilver wipes out such weeds without discoloring the grass.