1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Speedzone not working

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ProLawns, Apr 28, 2006.

1. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not having good results with speedzone. It just stuns the plant and doesn't seem to kill it. I've been spraying chickweed and it just turns it yellow and a month later it's still there. I'm mixing 1.5 oz./gal. in a backpack sprayer. Anyone else experiencing this?
  2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I use 2 oz /gal and spreader sticker.

Yes it kills the weeds but doesn't vaporize it. :laugh: :laugh:
  3. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you using a surfactant? You should be. Are the weeds dry at time of application?
  4. ProLawns

I've added a spreader sticker at times even though I believe it already contains it and yes the weeds are dry.
  5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot speak for the current conditions in Virginia, but here in CT the chickweed has set seed & is finished growing after a "perfect spring". Hence no herbicide will demostrate dazzling results. The chickweed here is simply finished growing.

Might be the same situation down there.
  6. ProLawns

That makes sense. I've noticed that when it's full of seeds there's hardly any leaf surface and that would affect the absorbtion of herbicide. However I didn't experience much better results in the fall.
  7. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use 9 oz per gallon. Works all the time.
  8. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Wow I bet your lawns a purdy :laugh:
  9. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does where you spray look like dog pee war zone. Big yellow spots all over the yard.
    Your way way over the max per gallon per instructions.

:laugh: :laugh:
  10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's slightly INCONSISTENT with the label don't ya think?
    A max. recommended rate of 1.8oz A/I per 1000 would mean you must be spraying an extremely thin mist.
    I do believe its against the law to use a product inconsistent with its labeling.
    Nothing like overkill and no concern for the environment.