Speedzone/nozzles

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I was just wondering what nozzles everyone preferred to use when doing Speedzone apps. I read on the label that the floodjet nozzles I bought for my ZTR spray rig are not recommended for use with Speedzone (droplets are too big for proper contact with weeds. The directions recommended flat fan type nozzles, that produce smaller droplets (nozzles over 8008 are not recommended for use with Speedzone). Thanks in advance.

Vic

2. If you want to use a hand boom sprayer, then you can use the flood jets here...

http://www.agmanco.com/mall/turbofloodjettips.htm

I use the TK -5's and with my rig they spray out .5 gals per 1000 sq/ft.

Works great.

3. Victor

If you're only putting down .5 gallon per 1000 sq. ft. do you have to go really slow while doing an application? You're not able to spray at 3 mph while putting down .5 gallons per 1000 sq. ft. are you?

Vic

4. The .5 gallon/1000 is for hand spraying with a boom, walking the lawn.

I use a perma-green most of the time and they use the TK 3's to get .25 gallons /1000 at 5 mph. I get good control but not great control with the PG.

What spray nozzle are you presently using?

5. Victor

I have the TK 5's (at 40 psi) installed on my boom right now. I noticed thhat I have to crawl (2mph) to insure that I get good coverage. I'm still in the calibration phase, although I need to get the right type of nozzle (flat fan) before I take the time to calibrate the rig. I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to have to run 7.5 GPM tips to get good, consistant coverage of the plant leaves. My speedo will be here Thursday.

Vic

6. Perhaps I am thinking about this the wrong way. What speed do you want to use, and how many gallons do you want per 1000?

And finally, what is the gpm of your pump, and how wide is your spray "zone"?

7. Victor

I'd like to spray at 4 mph. At that speed, I'd cover 352 feet per minute. My swath is 6 feet. That would have me applying product to a little over 2k sq ft per minute. I'd like to stay with .5 gpm at 40 psi (so that I'd be putting down 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft), but I'm not confident about getting good thorough coverage and penetration of the leaf canopy at that speed and rate. On pavement, the coverage was very sporadic at best.

Vic

8. Victor

I'll need to use a pair of nozzles rated at 1gpm each, to apply 1 gallon per 1000 sq ft.

Vic

9. Victor

I'd still be well within label rates that way and I should have much better results. I'm thinking about using 1.5 oz of Speedzone per gallon. That way I'd be applying that 1.5 oz to each of the 1k sq ft.

Vic